We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

US dollars from Brazil ATM?

United States
Level Contributor
595 posts
164 reviews
Save Topic
US dollars from Brazil ATM?

Hello,

Is it possible to get US dollars from a Brazilian ATM as it is in Uruguay?

Thanks!

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
4,548 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: US dollars from Brazil ATM?

No. There are plans for making exchange services available in ATMs, but they haven't been introduced here yet.

However, you can easily exchange money in several exchange agencies around the city.

Edited: 10:29 pm, March 04, 2013
Vatican City, Italy
Level Contributor
760 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: US dollars from Brazil ATM?

As #1 says there are plans to do so in the lead up to the World Cup but the machines to do this are yet to be imported.

…globo.com/economia/bc-autoriza-saque-de-dol…

Sayulita, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,640 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: US dollars from Brazil ATM?

Hmm why dollars?it is like begging to pay more or to be ripped off.Use Real which gives more bang for ya buck.I never understood why americans insist to pay in dollar?In Mexico i saw americans beeing ripped off by paying in dollars.They ended up paying the triple of everything and the rate the exchange and restaurants gives is awful.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
528 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: US dollars from Brazil ATM?

We go to Mexico quite often and because the dollar is generally strong against the peso, they would give extra discounts if you pay in USD. I'm not sure if they hold onto it until it's worth more, or what the reasoning is. We had about $200 in pesos left to spend and a couple hours before our flight we went into a bunch of stores. More than half of them would give us a far better discount if we paid in US Dollars. We said "but we have pesos we don't want to return home with....." and they were reluctant to give us the same deals as they would in US Dollars.

I guess that's the nature of the question and quite honestly i had the same question. I was thinking of bringing some US Dollars with me just in case it was a better deal to use them in Rio - but I was planning on using Reals.

5. Re: US dollars from Brazil ATM?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 7:46 pm, March 06, 2013
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
4,548 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: US dollars from Brazil ATM?

What happens is that you're not allowed to use foreign currency in Brazil (unlike some countries where that's common, as mentioned), so it's hard to see people actually accepting dollars here. Probably in the tourism industry there are guides who accept dollars and other currencies, but you won't see stores accepting both dollar and real like you see in some other countries. I recommend you always use reals.

Sayulita, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,640 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: US dollars from Brazil ATM?

@Bagger useally when they say that you get discounts if you pay in dollar,is a big red alarm warning for ripoff.First the price is already overpriced at the airport.For example a bottle that cost 600 pesos at the airport/tourists shop goes for 123 pesos at Mega or Chadraui.They get your dollars and receive back the discount they gave you when they exchange.So glad that you were persistent to pay in pesos and now in Real.

Edited: 4:07 am, March 07, 2013
California
Level Contributor
243 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: US dollars from Brazil ATM?

So it is better to use your ATM to withdraw money at the local banks in Rio and in Buzios? I need to pay for my rental apartments once I get into Buzios and Rio and this is not mentioning money needing money to pay for the taxi, bus transfer, dinning, etc? My bank in the U.S will not give RS or Brazilian currency. I could order it, but it too late for me and I am leaving tomorrow morning. Any ideas will be highly appreciated. Thank You

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
4,548 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: US dollars from Brazil ATM?

Búzios has very few ATMs, so I recommend you get your cash in Rio. You can either exchange your dollars (avoid the airport exchange booths, as they have worse rates) or use ATMs from bank agencies. I highly recommend you don't use the ATMs at the airport. Wait and get your cash at a bank agencies (such as Banco do Brasil) near your hotel.

So that's what I recommend: only exchange the necessary for your ground transportation at the airport (as taxi drivers or buses won't take dollars) and get the remaining cash you need at an ATM near your hotel. Check on Google Maps the closest Banco do Brasil and/or Citibank agencies. I am not totally sure about debit card compatibility, but credit cards will work.

Credit cards are also widely accepted in restaurants, bars, clubs, some sights, etc.

All the best

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: US dollars from Brazil ATM?

Can't use ATMs in the U.S. to get Brazilian Reais, either. If such machines are imported, and they can comply with laws limiting bringing in foreign currencies, I would expect pretty poor rates, but we'll see.

Get answers to your questions about Rio de Janeiro