We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gringo Management

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
3 posts
116 reviews
Save Topic
Gringo Management

After reading several threads about airport transfers, I decided to use Bruno of Gringo management due to the rave reviews of forum member "BFG". I emailed Bruno notifying him of our arrival and if can accommodate 8 people with 8 full size luggage and 8 hand carry luggage. He said he'll use 2 cars for $65 each car. No problem, booked and ready to go.

After an 18 hour flight, tired however excited, we see Bruno at the arrival area, took us down the parking lot and guess what? 2 damn mid-size cars. A ford focus and his car. There is no way in hell all our luggages would fit + passengers and he knew it as well. We were literally standing in the parking lot for a good 20 minutes while he figured out how in the world this will work. We even offered to just cancel the service so we can just go upstairs and get a radio taxi, he was insistent he can work this out. He tried to "call" someone however to no avail, they played around how to fit the luggages in. I then stepped in, i told him all the large luggage was to be placed in his car and most of the hand carry on his friend's focus. Good, everything fits, but I kid you not, where are the passengers going to fit? Remember, there's 8 of us, ALL full size adults. We then ask how far is the terminal from the airport? 15 mins! no problem! So as a family, we decided to just get the hell out of the airport, to just suffer for 15 minutes of tight car ride. 5 people went to his car, 1 in the front, 4 on the back..tight! the other car transported the 3 other. 1 in the front, and get this, 2 people at the back squeezed in the size for just 1 person as majority of the hand carry luggages was in the backseat.

that 15 minutes turned into a 1 hour ordeal because of the traffic in Rio, not only he did not deliver the services as promised, he lied to us how far the terminal was, even if there was no traffic, it would have taken him atleast 30 minutes to get there.

I will never recommend Bruno to anyone travelling more than 2 people. Save your time, money, and headache. Don't worry about the airport transfer, you can do it at the airport directly, the radio taxis have kiosk once you step out of immigration.

www.gringomanagement.com/otherservices.html

don't even bother.

memphis
Level Contributor
386 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Gringo Management

so sorry! Must have been horrible!

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
20,526 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gringo Management

Thanks, Jay, for your report.

Obviously, Gringo Management was not prepared to accommodate you and your family and there is simply no excuse for what they did. Shame on them for initially misleading you.

I hope you received a profound apology from them, not to mention a partial refund.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gringo Management

Agree, a partial refund is warranted. Even the best of innkeepers or property managers will deliver a poor customer experience. Agree, they should offer you monetary compensation.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
3 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gringo Management

Bruno kept apologizing and his excuse was, his friend who had the van cancelled on him the night before, I mean, how convenient of the friend to cancel last minute right?

Initially, he said that, we need to pay an extra $40 to get another car, we said no as we told him how many we are and our luggages and had agreed on the price. so both parties had to suffer. I did not bother asking for a discount, I just did not give them any tip.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
4,548 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gringo Management

Jay, what a bad experience! Thanks for letting us know and hope the rest of your visit was fine in Rio. I really appreciate when travellers post their feedbacks on services and also on the city (good and bad things), so thanks again for sharing your story with us.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
6,563 posts
1,246 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gringo Management

Jay,

We feel so sorry about that.

I have this that company as a good source of comfortable and well located apartments by fair prices, but the reception and the "management" of everything else was definetly catastrophic according to your report.

Thanks for sharing your negative experience with us. It certainly added much to our forum and I hope you had a good time in oour city, despite this fact.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
3 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gringo Management

Our family had alot of fun in Rio, we finally got a chance to try the Caiporinia, bolinios do bacalo and pastel however due to our time constraint with the cruise, we had to leave immediately and did not have enough time to see the city itself. I wanted to eat the mortadella sandwich, try the churascarria there, and go to Bar urca and other places Anthony Bourdain went. That's my only other disappointment is not staying there longer.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
4,548 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gringo Management

Hope you come back soon, Jay! All the best.

9. Re: Gringo Management

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 2:05 pm, January 04, 2014
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
6,563 posts
1,246 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gringo Management

The size of the vehicle is definetly not what distinguishes yellow regular cabs to the radio taxis since you can easily find a large yellow one by the streets... (Fiat Doblo, Meriva, Spin).

What differentiates radio taxis to the street yellow ones are drivers' kindness, car's cleanliness, greater puctuality and safety.