We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carnival transfer worth it?

Which Rio de Janeiro hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
141 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Carnival transfer worth it?

I bought my sambadrome ticket with Brazil Bookers and they are now selling the hotel to sambadrome transfer for $50. Since I'm staying in an iffy area (Gloria), could anyone offer any advice on whether taxis are readily available in the wee hours and the cost to Gloria? Thanks!

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
1,084 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Carnival transfer worth it?

Is it R $50 or USD $50? Is the price each way or round trip to/from the hotel?

If it's R $50 round trip , that's a great deal, especially if its hassle free.

Taxis willl be available in the wee hours at the Sambadrome, but will be running on the higher meter due to the late hour. I'm not sure of the cost to Gloria.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
141 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Carnival transfer worth it?

I believe it's $50 US for a round trip transfer, both to the Sambadrome, and back to the hotel after. I don't mind taking the metro to the Sambadrome, but am a little nervous returning alone late at night to a sketchy neighborhood.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
6,563 posts
1,246 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Carnival transfer worth it?

The metro itself can be part of the experience, specially on the way to the parade, because you will meet many other fest goers with their costumes and that will be pretty funny with people already singing and parttying inside the train...

But you are right about the way back... because by metro, it might not be that lively late at night / early in the morning and so it can be unsafe.

I´d catch this transfer deal! It is a question of peace of mind.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
141 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Carnival transfer worth it?

Thanks for your advice, Gusdali, that's what I was thinking too!

Seattle
Level Contributor
926 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Carnival transfer worth it?

Don't worry about taxis. There will be a bunch of them queued up in a special area for taxis because there are probably 10 thousand people who

are going to leave by taxi.

If you are planning to stay until the last group parades, there will be 60 or 70+ thousand people leaving at the same time (and there will be daylight by the time you get out on the streets). There are also hundreds and hundreds of taxis available if you want to take a taxi, but there are huge lines of people too, so it could take a long time waiting in line. I've taken a transfer bus before, and you may actually end up walking quite a ways trying to find your bus since there are hundreds of buses, vans, and cars trying to get close to the Sambodromo.

If you have an even sector ticket, I say take the metro, the nearest metro is very close and an easy walk. Odd sectors are a lot longer walk to the metro which is not as easy to find, so a van or taxi may be better if you are not as adventurous.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
1,084 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Carnival transfer worth it?

What helps makes Rio a great travel destination, are the many choices available for dining, beaches, nightlife, outdoor activities, culture, sports, neighborhoods, accommodations, music..... and transportation.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
141 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Carnival transfer worth it?

Thanks everyone! I think I'll take the metro over and then count on a taxi to take me back in the wee hours, not sure if it will be at dawn though, LOL!

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
6,563 posts
1,246 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Carnival transfer worth it?

That sounds a good plan!

Expect to pay no more than R$ 20 from Sambodrome to Gloria and try to grab your cab at Av Henrique Valadares, so you can save money and time... Actually it is the cross street just behind the greatest Sambodrome monument, also known as Praça da Apoteose (where each Samba School ends its parade).

Paisley, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Carnival transfer worth it?

Any idea how much a taxi would cost to get from Sambodromo to Porto Bay hotel?

Paisley, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Carnival transfer worth it?

Any idea how much a taxi would cost to get from Sambodromo to Porto Bay hotel?