We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sol ipanema vs Sofitel

Washington DC
Level Contributor
96 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Sol ipanema vs Sofitel

All

We are coming to rio in a week. While ideally we would have liked to stay in Fasano, it was outside our budget. We definitely wanted to stay in ipanema only. So we boiled it down to sol ipanema and Sofitel. I have a cancel label reservation at both and need to decide on one and cancel the other

From the research so far sol ipanema seem to have better location. However the hotel seems really bare bone and feels more like a 3 star Orel on international standards. There are also lot of negative comments about tired interiors of Sofitel. So none of them are feeling very convincing.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
96 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sol ipanema vs Sofitel

Btw we could spend upto usd 400 a night.

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
21,685 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sol ipanema vs Sofitel

I think you would be happier at the Sofitel, which is slightly nicer than the Sol Ipanema. But both are fine hotels that are well situated.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
4,548 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sol ipanema vs Sofitel

Sofitel has a good location as well, but as you've seen, reviews show that many travellers consider it to be below the standards of the brand. People say there are flaws in service and that rooms could be better. However, given the fact that there are no excellent hotels in Rio, I would go for Sofitel.

Just to mention, little boutique hotels have been getting amazing ratings in Rio, such as this one: tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g303506-d231485…

Atlanta, Ga
Level Contributor
426 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sol ipanema vs Sofitel

I agree with the reviews of the Sol Ipanema. I stayed there in 2007 and unless they have done some dramatic remodeling it is truly a basic 3 star hotel in my opinion. Nice location but just a typical decent hotel in my opinion.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
6,565 posts
1,247 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sol ipanema vs Sofitel

I really don´t think Sofitel Copacabana is below the standards of the brand.

It is a luxury one, with comfortable rooms, modern facilities, an unbeateble location (at the very best point of Copa very close to Ipanema), has amazing services (like the spa) and one of the best french restaurants of Brazil, Le Pre Catelan.

Their pool area was recently renovated as well.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sol ipanema vs Sofitel

The Sofitel and Sol Ipanema are really 2 different types of hotels.

Sofitel - quasi luxury hotel with many amenities. Excellent French restaurant and the Horses Neck Bar is pleasant on the terrace. Posto 6 is in my estimation the best part of Copacabana,.

Sol Ipanema - a sleek smaller hotel with very nice rooms and a swanky but small lobby bar. You can't beat the location, and the price is lower than the Sofitel.

The Caesar Park Hotel in Ipanema may be more comparable to the Sofitel. (I'm sure some TA DEs may disagree). Great location, excellent service, a bit over priced, wonderful roof top restaurant that serves an amazing daily breakfast (included in the price of the room) and a superb feijoada on Saturday.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
96 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sol ipanema vs Sofitel

Thanks all. I didn't quite expect feedback to lean towards Sofitel. Jgsodre we found out about casa mosquito too late. It is already sold out

8. Re: Sol ipanema vs Sofitel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 pm, December 17, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Rio de Janeiro