We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which one is better candidate for sunset scenery: Pao de Açu

Geneva
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Topic
Which one is better candidate for sunset scenery: Pao de Açu

I would like to visit Pao de Açucar or Corcovado during the sunset but time-wise I can do it only for one (the other would be a morning treat). From which one there would be more spectacular/beautiful sunset scenery?

Also technically speaking - is it feasible ? In early December the sunset is at 7:32 pm, maybe both places are at that time already closed?

Supposing that it would work with the opening hours, then another question rises : is it safe to go at say 8:30 pm by public transportation, for example, from Sugar Loaf via Urca neighborhood to Ipanema (bus 512, or bus + Botafogo Metro)?

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
20,070 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which one is better candidate for sunset scenery: Pao de Açu

The last cable car from Pão de Açucar leaves at 8:40 p.m.

Opening Hours for Corcovado are 8:30 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.

I would recommend taking a taxi to Sugar Loaf in the evening.

Corcovado Information:

http://bit.ly/qjj3lp

Sugar Loaf Information:

http://bit.ly/AhvOtS

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
4,544 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which one is better candidate for sunset scenery: Pao de Açu

I would do Corcovado in the morning and check the Sugar Loaf during sunset, as you'll be able to see the sun going down at the ocean...it's a nicer view (vs. sunset seen from Corcovado). The view from Corcovado, in my opinion, is more complex and the morning sun may help you see everything.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
4,544 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which one is better candidate for sunset scenery: Pao de Açu

PS: if you decide to visit Corcovado in the morning, arrive EARLY (try to take the first or the second train), as it is less organized than the Sugar Loaf in my opinion.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
1,581 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which one is better candidate for sunset scenery: Pao de Açu

I agree. Pão de Açucar is the better option for sunset. IMHO it's actually the better option for most views.

For night shots, I'd suggest you take the elevator at the Rio Othon Palace to the restaurant/pool on the roof for views like this:

vejanomapa.com.br/wp-content/uploads/2012/06…

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
2,421 posts
1,208 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which one is better candidate for sunset scenery: Pao de Açu

Neither. Best sunset is at Arpoador Beach!

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
1,581 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which one is better candidate for sunset scenery: Pao de Açu

Agree, nice view of the whole beach at sunset.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which one is better candidate for sunset scenery: Pao de Açu

Corcovado is a more sweeping view of the entire area. Pao de Açucar a more intimate view down on Urca, Gavea, Centro. Flamengo, etc. We were at Corcovado at sunset in May. Lots of other people. Guard suggested not staying too long after sunset (security). We took the train down and grabbed a taxi (not always easy to get one at rush hour). Pao de Açucar easier to get to/from. I preferred the sunset from Corcovado, but Pao de Açucar not a bad choice, either. Arpoador quite nice, but tourists often want places with more of a view.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which one is better candidate for sunset scenery: Pao de Açu

We have watched sunset from atop Pao de Acucar, and took the 512 bus back to Ipanema without any trouble. 8:30 pm in December is early evening.

Geneva
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Which one is better candidate for sunset scenery: Pao de Açu

:Many thanks to local experts - according to your input I’ll go for the Sugar-loaf sunset. Other suggestions are also appreciated, though I am not sure where is the recommended “Arpoador beach”.

Would that be the section close to Posto 7, where the surf place is?

Vatican City, Italy
Level Contributor
760 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Which one is better candidate for sunset scenery: Pao de Açu

Yes.

Get answers to your questions about Rio de Janeiro