We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best hotel in Ipanema/Copacabana for February 3-6, 2012

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Best hotel in Ipanema/Copacabana for February 3-6, 2012

Hey everyone! I am going to Rio right before the Carnival window and I'm trying to decide in which hotel to stay in. I was hoping to stay in Ipanema or Copacabana - but I'm finding it very difficult to find a decent-sounding hotel, because almost every hotel has a subset of horrible reviews on TripAdvisor that scare me (super old rooms, claustrophobic rooms, dirty rooms, noisy rooms, etc).

While I want to stay in the trendy part of the city, I am not really going to spend a lot of time sitting on the beach... mostly sight seeing and moving around the city. But Ipanema obviously sounds more appealing. That being said, Copacabana seems to have much more affordable hotels. So does it make more sense to save money and stay in Copacabana? I hear it's not as safe or clean, but maybe I could take cabs at night to Ipanema if I want to hang out there?

I am ideally looking for a hotel that is SUPER clean, feels new, quiet, good location (not looking to go to bars a tonight.. mostly just restaurants and nice walking areas)... for $250/night or less. Any suggestions??

I was looking at Mar Ipanema Hotel, Arena Copacabana Hotel and Windsor Martinique Hotel. But each one seems to have a ton of mixed reviews. Would greatly appreciate any advice!!

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
21,315 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best hotel in Ipanema/Copacabana for February 3-6, 2012

Lots of satisfied customers for the Windsor Martinique Hotel. Unless you’re willing to double your budget, you should expect to read some hotel reviews that are less than glowing.

http://bit.ly/V1YGMv

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
4,548 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best hotel in Ipanema/Copacabana for February 3-6, 2012

As for Ipanema, Mar Ipanema is constantly recommended on this forum due to its reasonable price (for Rio standards) and good cost-benefit. It doesn't have some amenities and a view, but its location is one of the best, at the heart of Ipanema. Reviews vary, but they're concentrated in "very good": tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g303506-d305737…

It does have a bar/restaurant on its first level, but apparently guests are not bothered by it (at least the ones in the upper floors). Check the reviews.

As for Copacabana, the newest hotel there is actually an Ibis. Considering the high prices in Rio, it may be a good option as it has just opened. Pro: very close to a subway station, at a walkable distance from the beach. Con: not my favorite area in Copacabana (but convenient, anyway); it's an Ibis so...it's very basic. tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g303506-d350850…

As for beachfront hotels in Copacabana, have a look at Arena and Porto Bay. Arena is kind of new and Porto Bay has been getting good reviews. I'm not sure about Porto Bay's rates for this time of the year, though - sorry if it's higher than you're planning.

Porto Bay - tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g303506-d301505…

Arena - tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g303506-d159665…

Staying in Ipanema will leave you closer to the trendiest places, but Copacabana has a lot to offer as well and is right next to Ipanema. One positive factor is that Copacabana is overall cheaper (cheaper restaurants for a simple meal, for example).

What you have to have in mind is that Rio is still working on putting its hotels in a better condition. In my opinion, Rio has become more cosmopolitan all of a sudden (World Cup, Olympics), and considering that it is not a bargain to come here as in the past, there's a consensus that the city needs to keep on working to raise the standards. So I basically mean that you'll still find lots of overpriced hotels/hotels that could do better - don't get your expectations too high! - and things are slowly getting better.

Edited: 8:58 pm, October 29, 2012
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best hotel in Ipanema/Copacabana for February 3-6, 2012

Thank you guys so much for your thoughtful response. I really, really appreciate it. After much deliberation, I decided to stay at the Windsor Martinique Hotel. I have a friend who stayed there and recommended it.

Can't wait to get to Rio!

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
6,563 posts
1,245 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best hotel in Ipanema/Copacabana for February 3-6, 2012

Among those you´ve mentioned, I´d choose, with no doubt, Mar Ipanema Hotel.

5. Re: Best hotel in Ipanema/Copacabana for February 3-6, 2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, November 16, 2013