We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Rio alone.

Which Rio de Janeiro hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
6 posts
Save Topic
Visiting Rio alone.

Hi, just want to ask of it is safe to visit Rio alone? I am planning to travel to Rio next month for a 3 days trip alone. Any suggestion or recommendations on which and where to visit that is enough for my 3 days trip? Thanks

1. Re: Visiting Rio alone.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 6:35 am, September 17, 2012
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
4,531 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Rio alone.

JaoDixon, welcome to our forum. There's a very recent thread which covers some main issues regarding visiting Rio alone: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g303506-i1199-k573…

It's a good source of information. Moreover, I can say that Rio is relatively safe, but you should apply common sense measures to your trip, such as not carrying very expensive goods (jewelery, expensive watches, etc). I don't know your budget, but we usually recommend at least 5 days in Rio considering the number of attractions (usually tourists also say the same, as per this thread: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g303506-i1199-k4359262-How_many_days_in_rio-Rio_de_Janeiro_State_of_Rio_de_Janeiro.html).

As for where to stay, I recommend you stay in the South Side of Rio (Zona Sul). Unlike other cities, Downtown Rio is very deserted in the evening and on weekends. Downtown is mostly a commercial/corporate area, so It's busy during week days only. Definitely wouldn't recommend staying there. Look for a place in the South Side, such as Ipanema, Copacabana or Leblon. Take a look at this thread: tripadvisor.com/…43149666

I don't know which kind of accomotation you're looking for, but Lemon Spirit (tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g303506-d630038…) is a well known hostel with an excellent location (Leblon - South Side), close to the beach and might be a nice way to meet other travellers as well.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
378 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Rio alone.

#1 is exaggerating. Groups of 50 are perfecty fine. One can actually avoid hyprbole and still be aware the crime problem is very real. In tourist areas, mainly muggings (the poor folks in the favelas worry about violence more than tourists need to, in general). I just walk around with no more than I can afford to lose, and avoid empty streets at night. I've used the Metro, buses and taxis. If you want to be with groups, there are lots of tours (Grayline type). Pao de Açucar you can visit on your own, taking a taxi (then you get in line for the cable cars like everyone else). Where you should visit depends on your tastes and budget. Looked at a guide book? Accommodations obviously depend on your budget. Brazil is not cheap, and Rio is particuarly pricey.

Where else in Brazil are you going?

Edited: 8:35 am, September 16, 2012
Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
378 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Rio alone.

I think 3 days would be plenty for some and not enough for others. I can't go with a sweeping generalization of 5 days or any other number. Is 3 enough for you? Who knows? Do you have the option to stay longer? Would you get out of Rio if you had more time?

New York City, New...
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Rio alone.

Wow! Thanks Jgsodre & Sutter thanks for the very informative information provided above. Will read more and visit the link you provided for me to get to know more about Rio. :-)

Hi Jorge, I did as well what you have adviced above. :-)

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
4,531 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Rio alone.

Considering Sutter's traditional dissenting views, I'll give JaoDixon some reasons why 3 days are not enough:

1st day = you'll be tired after 10 hours of flight. The first day in any intercontinental trip is very tiring due to jet lag. You may even stroll around, but will probably be too tired to visit the major attractions and/or to enjoy them in a more relaxed way;

2nd day = you'll probably want to visit one or two landmarks, but will be too tiring to visit it all. Unless you go on a private tour (which I recommend, even if you're spending more days - but specially if you're spending just 3 days);

3rd day = it's the day to go back, which means you never chill out and probably won't spend much time doing many different things.

This is why 5 days makes it a little bit more comfortable, in my opinion, considering the time to relax and time to stay at the beach.

Got it? When you go to the beach, you end up staying all day long there. And get very tired in the evening.

I really don't recommend going on Gray Line or whatsoever. Those are very narrow minded tours...open your mind and go on a tour with a private guide. He/she will give you a much better approach to the city's history and less well known landmarks. Just my opinion! :)

7. Re: Visiting Rio alone.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, September 18, 2013