We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help to plan NYE 2012/2013 in Copacabana

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Need help to plan NYE 2012/2013 in Copacabana

Hi! My boyfriend and I are going to Rio over NYE. We'll be staying at the Sheraton Rio Hotel & Resort in Leblon. It sounds like Copacabana is the place to be for NYE but that travel can be difficult because they shut down the roads in the afternoon. So I have a few questions:

1. How long does it take to get from Leblon to Copacabana? It says it's about 3 mi. away.

2. Will we be able to take a taxi NYE to get to Copacabana? What time should we leave?

3. I wanted to make dinner reservations somewhere near the beach where the activity will be-any recommendations?

4. Does anyone know what activities will be going on in Copacabana for NYE?

5. Will we be able to get back to Leblon that night after the fireworks? Will it be safe?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
729 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help to plan NYE 2012/2013 in Copacabana

The Sheraton Rio Hotel in reality is located in the neighborhood called Vidigal, on Avenida Niemayer 121, few minutes after Leblon. Takes 10 -15 minutes by taxi to Copacabana beach on a normal day. I recomend you to leave before 6:00 to Copacabana, because the traffic will become worse after that. There are many restaurants in front of the beach to make a dinner reservation but the best choices and more expensive will be some hotels like the Sofitel Hotel and Copacabana Palace Hotel. As is going to be happen some activities at the beach like Brazilian music with different singers, I recomend you to take a taxi back to your hotel after 1:00 am, where most people will be gone. Even so, you shoud be very careful, avoid carrying passport, any kind of jewl, sophisticated cameras and big amount of cash money. Even so will be hard to find taxi and they probably will charge a much higher price, try to negotiate before.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
6,565 posts
1,247 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help to plan NYE 2012/2013 in Copacabana

1. How long does it take to get from Leblon to Copacabana? It says it's about 3 mi. away.

R: Yes. Not close, but it would be a nice walking, though the heat. Attention to the fact the access will be restricted to the oceandrive from 6pm and taxis and regular buses should be taken on the paralel Leblon street Ataulfo de Paiva and you should drop also on the paralel Copa avenue Av Nossa Senhora de Copacabana and walk 2 blocks to the beach.

2. Will we be able to take a taxi NYE to get to Copacabana? What time should we leave?

R: Above answered. I agree with Viajante60... leave around 6pm.

3. I wanted to make dinner reservations somewhere near the beach where the activity will be-any recommendations?

R: I like Don Camilo (restaurant) NYE´s buffet, but if you are looking for something with a good view, you can find it in hotels like Rio Othon Palace. If you are looking for a very refined experience, Sofitel Copacabana and Copacabana Palace are the best ones.

4. Does anyone know what activities will be going on in Copacabana for NYE?

R: Shows, mainly brazilian singers and bands, but also some international attractions like foreigners DJs and bands.

5. Will we be able to get back to Leblon that night after the fireworks? Will it be safe?

R: Hard to find a taxi cheaper than R$ 80,00. It is relativelly safe if you get the advices above like not to carry jewels etc.

Edited: 6:49 am, July 16, 2012
Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help to plan NYE 2012/2013 in Copacabana

Thank you so much viajante60 and GUSDALI - the information you provided is really helpful! Sounds like Copacabana is the place to be for NYE :)

Corrimal, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help to plan NYE 2012/2013 in Copacabana

Have the international acts been announced for NYE on Copacabana beach? What websites would provide this information.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
6,565 posts
1,247 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help to plan NYE 2012/2013 in Copacabana

Not yet my friend!

It will probably be known only by mid November.

Corrimal, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help to plan NYE 2012/2013 in Copacabana

No worries thanks heaps. Any hot tips for parties on NYE. What would you recommend?

Edited: 12:33 am, October 05, 2012
Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need help to plan NYE 2012/2013 in Copacabana

I'm American, and have spend EVERY New Year's in Rio since 2000 (except 1, when my dad was ill). I even bought an apt in Ipanema 5 years ago. I have done both private parties & been on the sand in Copacabana. I prefer the public party right on the sand w 2 million+ people. There are usually at least 3 huge stages set up on the sand featuring excellent live performers (and huge jumbo screens). Why come to Rio for NYE to watch it from any distance instead of being IN it? Some tips to help u really enjoy it:

-- Wear white! The beach is radiant with 98% of people wearing white clothing.

-- Wear comfortable shoes- I prefer sandals so I can be on/off the sand throughout the night. (color doesn't matter)

-- Dine around 8-9pm IN Copacabana. I love Siquiera Grill, 1/2 block off beach, midway down Copa Beach. Pay by the weight of the plate (sooo don't load up on side dishes, instead go for meat, fish, and compliment your choice with only a small side dish, as meat will cost you the same as potatoes!).

-- Stay within walking distance to Copa/Ipanema. Unless you plan to party until 3am, in all likelihood, you'll be walking back to your hotel/apt after the festivities as local transportation including taxis are all but impossible to get. Remember 2+ million are also going home too.

-- Buy some flowers during the day from street vendors. Locals make a wish, then toss them into the sea at the stroke of midnight as an offering to Iemanja- goddess of the sea. I invite friends from around the globe to pick a flower color, then tell them to make a wish at midnight rio time- and I toss in the bouquet! (after a picture which I later send to friends). If Iemanja takes your flowers out to sea, Your wish will come true.

-- Don't take purses, wallets, wear any fancy or expensive jewelry. Take some cash, one credit card (not that you can use it, but in case of emergency), and put them in a secure pocket or place on your person where Rio's expert pick- pickets can't get to them. Carry camera hidden, with strap, preferred. And keep tight hold when taking pictures- grab and run is an artform for thieves.

-- Try to be mid-way along the 2.2 mile stretch of Copacabana Beach to enjoy the fireworks. For a couple of years - the wind has blown back the fireworks smoke onto the beach at Post 6- and ruined the fireworks show. Soooo gauge the wind before finding your spot at midnight. If you have flowers, go down to the surf, get a front row view, and be prepared to make a wish and toss.

-- Unlike Americans, Brazilians are amazingly uninhibited. Dance, sing, enjoy New Years with a childlike abandon. Take lots of pictures of locals- they love to pose for pics- and strike amazingly great poses. Watch and copy them for your own pics.

-- Be prepared for the crowded beach. Keep close hold of friends, family. It's very very crowded in places- and easy to get separated.

-- Enjoy! After 12 years- there is still no other place I would rather be for NYE than in Rio, cidade maraviliosa- the marvelous city.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
6,565 posts
1,247 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need help to plan NYE 2012/2013 in Copacabana

What a nice photo is that on your profile with our beloved Redeemer!

Many thanks for such a complete and helpful post.

Welcome to our forum! Actually, we need more experienced tourists like you by here... sharing true first hand experiences by the point of view of a foreign visitor.

London, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need help to plan NYE 2012/2013 in Copacabana

Also will be in Copa/ Ipanema over NYE. These posts have been really helpful. Really excited.

Do you have to buy tickets for the shows/ live acts on the beach, does anyone know?

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need help to plan NYE 2012/2013 in Copacabana

NYE is free on Copa Beach.. Although there is food and drinks being sold everywhere.. Enjoy!

Get answers to your questions about Rio de Janeiro