We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 days trip to rio, salvador & iguazu

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
10 days trip to rio, salvador & iguazu

My wife and I are planning to do a 10 (+2 if needed) days to Brazil this december...i know it is too late but we always end up doing last minute trips. We are also combining this with a Peru trip either on the way back or onward.

looking at the exooorbitant hotel prices, we have decided not to be in Rio during the new year eve and are planning to be there the week before. We will be in Brazil (GIG) on Dec 22nd (or thereabouts..havent booked the flights yet:) ) and the split we are thinking is Rio(4 days) + Salvador (3 days) + iguazu (2 days).

I have read 100s of TA posts already and have a good idea of many things but have the following questions.

1. How do we schedule this itinerary? If we do rio at first, we will be there during christmas, which doesnt seem to be the ideal time to be in Rio.

2. How about spending New year's eve in Salvador? how crowded does it get? would we able to book some reasonably priced accomodations now?

3. fly to Iguazu from Rio or Salvador?

Thanks in advance!

srk

Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
729 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 days trip to rio, salvador & iguazu

Rio during Christmas might be better, because probably will be less crowded and easier to visit the touristic places. Also, I'll try to book a nice studio between Copacabana and Ipanema through Airbnb or TA rental, for about $ 100 a day, half of the price of a reasonable hotel.

Salvador, probably will be very crowded and almost as expensive as Rio, but you can also rent a studio through Airbnb or TA, for 3 days much less than $100 a day , if possible close to the neighbourhood called Barra, near to the main atractions and to the main beach.

Iguaçu Falls, I prefer to fly from Rio, you have more options.

Levy L.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
6,563 posts
1,246 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 days trip to rio, salvador & iguazu

Yes...

Rio on Christmas is ok. The summer atmosphere is great and you´ll probably find easier a good hotel or studio just a few days before that "very high season".

Salvador has a huge firework too and it will also be, no doubt, a nice party there, though overcrowded! Hotels nearby Barra or at "Corredor da Vitória" (more options and you´ll be just 10' by taxi or 30' by foot to Barra) are the best options.

Salvador is a nice city but I´d strongly recommend you to increase your stay in Rio to 5 days, because 2 days in Salvador is more than enough to know its main attractions (lunch at Mercado Modelo, strolling by Pelourinho and chilling in Farol da Barra beach). And, with 5 days in Rio, you´ll have time to do almost everything.

The "logistics to take a flight from Rio to Foz do Iguaçú is much better as well.

Feel free to ask us!

Niterói
Level Contributor
168 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 days trip to rio, salvador & iguazu

Hmmmm... More time in Salvador is good. Not sure why GUSDALI says 2 days are enough... There is a LOT to see/experience.

But always more time in Rio is good.

Try to visit the Foz on the Argentinian side. MUCH more rewarding! Spend a night in the Sheraton.

Enjoy!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 days trip to rio, salvador & iguazu

Thanks much, Levy, Gusdali & jimeluiz.

Lots of useful information. I wish I could go to the Argentinian side but that would mean more work to get visa:( and hence skipping that.

Looks like I wont be in Brazil for new year's eve unless I plan my peru trip upfront. Moreover new year time in Brazil seems to be very expensive and hence thinking of skipping it altogether.

Two possible options:

Option 1;

-Rio (Dec 22-26)

-Salvador (Dec 26-29)

- Iguacu (29-31)

Option 2:

The same as 1 but skip iguacu or salvador completely. Am not sure which one to skip though.

Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
569 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 10 days trip to rio, salvador & iguazu

I would really be shame to skip the Argentina side of the falls. The two sides are actually very different und a visit to one sides complements the other. You might even skip Iguacu if you are just visiting the Brazil side alone, as seeing that side takes 3-4 hours.

Niterói
Level Contributor
168 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 10 days trip to rio, salvador & iguazu

It is easy to visit the Argentinian side of he falls. The "visa" is just a simple task at the border. Do not miss it!

7. Re: 10 days trip to rio, salvador & iguazu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, October 27, 2012