We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what is a hostel?

Which Rio de Janeiro hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
LAS VEGAS
10 posts
Save Topic
what is a hostel?

can someone please explain to me what a hostel is? im trying to learn as much as i can from this forum before my trip.thanks in advance to anyone willing to explain.

Houston-Lisbon-Rio...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
1,067 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what is a hostel?

Greetings,

A hostel is a type of accommodation that usually caters to backpackers, young and budget travelers. Typically, the rooms are shared with anywhere from 2 to 8 people (think college dorm). Generally the restrooms/showers are also shared by all travelers and meals are served in a community setting at specific times.

Hostels are, by compariosn, much cheaper than even basic hotels.

That said, hostels, like hotels, run from shabby to very nice. It is important that should you decide to stay at an hostel that you check into what exactly it offers, its reputation (as best you can perhaps through references if available) and be aware that the security of your posessions and yourself is largely dependent on you.

Rio de Janeiro has several very fine hostels and couple of them are actually located near favelas. Though I have not had much experience with hostels (my hostels days are twenty years in the past) I can recommend a place in Rio which I think would give you an excellent hostel/hotel experience; I recommend the Pousada Favelinha.

This is a small but wonderful place to stay with very good pricing as compared to regular hotels and at this pousada, you can opt for either a double room (which can be just for you and a guest) or the larger dorm room which you will share with others. I have stayed here once and really enjoyed myself. The proprietor, Andreia (who is also the chief cook) is a jewel. While this pousada is in very close proximity to a favela, your safety is not compromised in any way and the locals enjoy meeting the travelers who stay at Pousada Favelinha. Here is Pousada Favelinha's web address if you want to see what they offer and check out their room rates:

http://www.favelinha.com/

One think to keep in mind is that this pousada does not have a lot of rooms and if you want stay here you will have to book in advance as they are often fully booked.

I hope that this helps.

Safe travels to you.

George

LAS VEGAS
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: what is a hostel?

thank you GEORGE,

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
819 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what is a hostel?

we just last week stayed at a place in Paraty, which billed itself as a hostel. It was just a very basic Pousada, small rooms for two + 1 child, shower and toilet, no wardrobe and loud A/C ( we did not use it -- the breeze off the ocean was good). Hammocks out front, two bar-stools and a board for a table, fastened to a wall, and a "frigo bar" - small bar-fridge, stocked with basics (pop, water, beer), which they charge for: we re-stocked from the local supermarket -- really cheap!. The place had a small pool, which was very clean and the breakfast was typical - fruit, breads, buns, sweets, cheese and the ubiquitous ham; good!! coffee, teas, juices. For those interested, it's called Pousada Helena, it's on the web, US 50.00/night, which for Paraty and almost on the beach, was pretty average. The attraction to us was that it was quiet at night, which you will not find in town.