We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rio de Janiero

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Rio de Janiero

We have been reading lately of the dangers of travelling in Rio. Is this all exagerated or is it easy to avoid the dangers if you are aware of pitfalls?

1. Re: Rio de Janiero

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:05 am, May 23, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Rio de Janiero

I actually looked through heaps of questions/ threads about Rio but could not find one that actually asked this question. Living in Australia, it is a very distant world to us. We have done heaps of travelling through Europe, Asia, Middle East so we are not quite as naive as I sound but the reports we get here are alarming.

Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
569 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rio de Janiero

You did not find a single thread on safety in Rio in this forum?

Just take care of the Brazilian Wandering Spiders and you'll be ok.

Gothenburg, Sweden
Level Contributor
84 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rio de Janiero

Couldn't find your question anywhere?

If you look on the top right corner of the screen you should see a panel called "top questions about Rio de Janeiro". The top spot is held by "is Rio safe".

Press that link and you'll see a lot of threads concerning your question.

The reason that you sound naive is that you read about dangers in Rio and take that for truth but at the same time you seem to ignore all the positive feedback, which is 100 to 1vs the bad.

You also seem to ignore the fact that millions visit Rio/Brasil every year and how many have you heard about having a bad time or something awful happening to them?

Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Rio de Janiero

"Is this all exagerated or is it easy to avoid the dangers if you are aware of pitfalls?"

No it's not exaggerated. Crime has happened to those people who post reports online about it. Often the circumstances are not clearly detailed though, and the victim may have made him/herself more likely to be victimized. Crime is not always easy to avoid, however, even if you are aware of the pitfalls, because you are in an environment where the pitfalls do not appear obvious. However, most crime is opportunistic, and it is possible to limit the criminals opportunity by planning well and remaining vigilant.

Niteroi, RJ
Level Contributor
348 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Rio de Janiero

Not sure what you have been reading, but generally speaking, yes , the reports of crime in Rio are exaggerated. A lot of the violent crime occurs in the favelas where you will not be going. This is not to say that non-violent street crimes in Rio are not a problem. However, as you imply, the chances of becoming a statistic are significantly reduced if you avoid the pitfalls by practicing street smarts which have been specified at some length here ( no flashy jewelry, no map studying on the corner, no camera dangling, no walking on deserted street, etc)

Houston-Lisbon-Rio...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
1,079 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rio de Janiero

Greetings,

Even in exaggerated reports there are nuggets of truth; but the fact is that most travelers to Rio de Janeiro experience nothing worse than a caipirinha hang-over and a sunburn.

You write that you have traveled to Asia and the Middle East, and if you use the same vigilance and common sense you applied during those trips, then you will be perfectly fine in Rio.

As stated above and elsewhere in this forum, when out and about don't wear any expensive jewelry or watches, keep your camera in your pocket or a non-descript bag, only carry enough money with you to cover whatever activity you are doing that day, at night take taxis to get around, don't walk on the beach or the beach side of the street after dark, only carry a copy of your passport with you with touring the city (keep the real thing locked up in your hotel room), don't enter a favela unless you are part of an organized tour or in the company of a community resident, and if in the event you are accosted by a mugger...do not resist, give them what they want..and remember that your good health and person are worth more than any possible material thing.

That stated, you will probably have a very uneventful (crime-wise) trip to this wonderful city; and I would wager that at the end of your time in Rio you will be thinking about returning as soon as you can.

Safe travels to you!

George B.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
585 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rio de Janiero

I like that "....You will be killed and dumped in the ocean if you ever visit Rio. They make no exceptions and just 2011 no tourist has made it out of the country alive" :-)

Quite frankly, if you are that concerned about safety in Rio you would not enjoy your trip anyway. You have two very solid camps here on TA - some (like me), who have absolutely no worries about safety, and others that are alarmist. If you lean towards believing the latter, why even bother with a trip that will be stressful?

Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Rio de Janiero

I don't think anyone on this forum is alarmist about conditions in Rio. Some of us simply believe in planning and paying attention to what is going on around yourself, rather than trusting in luck and wandering around heedless of situational factors.

People who post here asking about safety in any city in Brazil don't have the experience "on the ground" that others of us have. Conditions are not as bad as they may have been led to believe by what they've read or been told third hand, and they will find that out as soon as they get out on the street, but some are not prepared to make good judgement calls in an alien environment where things may not be as they seem to foreign eyes. Most will not be in Brazil long enough to encounter any trouble and will report afterward that they felt comfortable in Rio.

You state you have no worries about safety, and I truly hope you are never given reason to change your outlook.

I have enough Brazilian friends to know that it is perhaps just a matter of time until my number too is up, in a life that includes all sorts of people and neighborhoods, and I can only hope that I have the presence of mind to act sensibly should that time come. And that maybe the person I encounter will be good enough to leave me bus fare home, as has happened to some friends. ;-)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Rio de Janiero

Thankyou so much for all your informative replies. We absolutely loved the one about no tourist leaving Rio alive in 2011. Years ago, we saw a wonderful but terrifying film called Black Orpheus which took place during Carnaval. Perhaps the memory of this film together with current travel warnings has made us a little worried. However, we are now totally reassured and are very excited about visiting this stunning city. Just one extra thing - can anyone recommend a really great hotel for around $200 (could stretch it a little) a night in Ipanema with views over the ocean for a stay during early January. Also, as we don't have a great deal of time, we had planned to spend about 4 days there and go to Paraty for 3 days. Is this a good idea or would be better off spending the whole time in Rio and getting to see more there.

Get answers to your questions about Rio de Janeiro