We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Few quick questions!

Wellington
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Few quick questions!

Hi all,

I have a few quick questions.

Firstly, what is the safest or most popular place to stay in Rio? (We are going in December)

Also are there any good hostels in the area you can recommend on a middle range budget?

Thirdly, we are looking to book a bus from rio to sao paulo but can't seem to find any english websites! Can anyone help with this?

Thanks a lot for the help!

Copenhagen
Level Contributor
639 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Few quick questions!

1) Ipanema, Copacabana and Leblon. I recommend Ipanema.

2) plenty of hostels, but I can't recommend any

São Paulo/Brazil
Level Contributor
292 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Few quick questions!

This is a good hotel to saty in Rio, with prices in the middle. I´ve been there before and I like it. If you have hte money, I can recommend Copacabana Palace Hotel (been there twice) and Sofitel (once), but they are very expensive.

www.mirasolhotel.com.br/english/index.asp

I like Copacabana beach. I very good and not so trendy as Ipanema and Leblon

For buses between Rio and SP there is this site

viacaocometa.com.br/viacaocometav02/portugue…

It´s a very googd company, but it is not in english. Sorry.

Wellington, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Few quick questions!

Hi, my partner and i (early 20's from New Zealand) are in the beginning stages of planning our OE with the first in Rio!

We've both dreamed for so long of seeing and experiencing Brazil but since our first trip to the travel agent, we have heard a mix of good and terrifying stories! What is true, is Rio a safe place to travel?

A lot of people have suggested we do a tour in Rio, but we would prefer to do it ourselves, meet people in hostels and have an adventure. What do you think?

Also, where is the safest place to stay in Rio and the best way to get from Rio - Sao Paulo?

Any tips, suggestions, tell all experiences are much much appreciated!!

Nervous Elly

Mentioned in this post
New Zealand
New Zealand
South Pacific
Brazil
Brazil
South America
Sao Paulo
Sao Paulo
State of Sao Paulo
São Paulo/Brazil
Level Contributor
292 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Few quick questions!

Rio is safe. I´ve been there almost 20 times and have never experienced any touble.

I even have several stories about the generosity of the carioca and his good will.

I noticed that you are willing to stay ina hostel. I have never stayed in hostels, only hotels and I have mentioned one in several posts and above. Is very good, is in Copacabana, 50 meters from a subway station.

You can go from Rio to SP by bus or plane. Air tickets are cheap and we have several companies making this flight (GOL, TAM, Webjet, Avianca, Azul, but this one between Campinas - 90 km from SP, and Rio).

Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
569 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Few quick questions!

Plenty of buses from Rio to Sao Paulo.

The flight might cost a little more. A flight from Santos Dumont in Rio to Congonhas in Sao Paulo is a treat though and also faster. Try to sit on the right. Just check the location of the airports an a map of Rio and Sao Paulo and you will see.

Don't fly from Galeao to Guarulhus, as those airports are further out of town and traffic can be a nightmare.

Mentioned in this post
Sao Paulo
Sao Paulo
State of Sao Paulo
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Few quick questions!

Ipanema Beach House is a nice hostel , and it's located in one of the best parts of Ipanema.

rio-de-janeiro-travel-information.com/rio-de…

Rome
Level Contributor
1,708 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Few quick questions!

Ipanema - Leblon - Arpoador (the area where Ipanema meets Copacabana)

Copacabana isn't bad (except for Princesa Isabel area)

London
Level Contributor
169 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Few quick questions!

Elly,

First you don't need to be nervous at all. It has been discussed here countless times that Rio has a bad rep, especially because the media ( including the Brazilian) fuels that.

Having said that though you need to be vigilant and travel smart. You won't be travelling to another western country where social disparities are not so significant, therefore avoid venturing to places out of reach or not so crowded and the obvious PDG

(Public Displays of Gringo)...when out and about. ..( the Ipods, the jewellery, the watches, etc, etc)

There's plenty to do and see in Rio but for a first timer who, I presume, don't speak Portuguese you should be vigilant (not paranoid) and you will have the time of your life.

9. Re: Few quick questions!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:18 am, October 23, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Rio de Janeiro