We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rio Airport transfer service

Which Rio de Janeiro hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
USA-OHIO
Level Contributor
52 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Rio Airport transfer service

Anyone know whether they are reliable? I would like to book in advance and use them to get to the hotel and again the following day to take us to the pier for our cruise. Their cost is half of what the recommended hotel charge would be. Thanks,

Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Rio Airport transfer service

And what would that be (so we can tell you if it still sounds too high)?

There are usually plenty of regular taxis (driven, on the whole, by family guys just trying to make an honest living) in front of the terminal, and also the more expensive pre-paid taxi service offered as you exit the international area of the terminal (for which you can pay by cc at the booth).

And to get to the pier from the hotel, just walk over to the nearest coop taxi rank and choose.

Happy travels.

Australia
Level Contributor
291 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Rio Airport transfer service

I would also be interested in a reputable airport transfer service that will hold up my name at arrivals - I'm sure my hotel (JW Marriott) will provide this service but at a mark-up and probably using the same operators. If I could cut out the middle man, that would be great...

USA-OHIO
Level Contributor
52 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rio Airport transfer service

Hotel quote is for R$195.00 Rio airport transfer service is for $93. for 2. this is for transfer to hotel and then to pier.

Below is quote from their e-mail (rio Airport transfer)

"We are pleased to advise that the total cost of a 'flexi transfer' from Galeao International airport to the JW Marriott Hotel and then on to the International Cruise Terminal in a private car is USD$93 (USD$46.50 per person - assuming 2 people travelling)."

thank you, just want to be safe and have someone reliable.

USA-OHIO
Level Contributor
52 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rio Airport transfer service

Totally agree Hotel mark up seems way out of line. Let's hope we get some help here. I just want to confirm that Rio Airport Transfer is legit. When do you arrive? Going on the Princess cruise? to Fll.????

Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Rio Airport transfer service

Just for comparison....

Regular taxi would probably be R$40-50 to Copacabana, R$50-60 to Ipanema.

Pre-paid airport taxi would probably be R$90 to Ipanema.

Regular taxi from Ipanema to the cruise ship dock would probably be R$35.

fyi: today's exchange rate is U$1=R$1.68 (R$1=U.$0.60)

Australia
Level Contributor
291 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Rio Airport transfer service

Hi Usa_ohioSbk,

I'm traveling independently in late April but your currencies for your quotes may be mixed up as both prices are similar if you convert to USD....

Cheers

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
585 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rio Airport transfer service

Wow, so if I read this correctly from the Airport to the hotel and then to the cruise ship port it is R$156 at today's exchange rates - one way, i.e R$312 R/T?? Definitely way excessive!

Save the extra cash for a nice dinner and take one of the yellow taxi's parked outside. Just make sure not to take a "roaming taxi", i.e those that cruise for passenger's outside the terminal as some (not all) of those have a "Hot meter" (then you will be paying about the same as the hotel quoted you :-). The best taxi's to take are those authorized for the airport, which line up towards the end of the terminal, or those specifically dropping off customer's at the airport (versus cruising)

The unauthorized taxi's have decreased, as the authorized taxi drivers do not take kindly to them (at times in a very dramatic way, as recently reported)

Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Rio Airport transfer service

You can simply look for the name and phone number of the cooperativa to which a legitimate yellow taxi belongs, which is found painted large on the rear fender.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
350 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rio Airport transfer service

An important point to note about taxi drivers in Brazil is that for most of them it is their main occupation and they are proud of what they do. For the most part, drivers are very honest and want repeat business. While drivers in Rio may be a bit more shady than those in other cities, on the whole they are good and honest. Pre-paid services from major hotels are bound to have a huge mark-up, so either go with the pre-paid services from the airport or a regular taxi and enjoy your trip.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
7 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Rio Airport transfer service

Might be a bit late off the mark for this particular traveller. But, much as I would like to recommend the regular airport taxis, they are still more likely to charge extra if you're a tourist - even a Brazilian tourist! Transport at the airport has improved a huge amount over the last few years, but it still has a way to go before it's up there with other international airports.

Having said that, getting a taxi from the city back to the airport is generally no problem and will be the standard rate regardless of whether you're a tourist or not.

In regards to Rio Airport Transfer, they are definitely a legitimate company and have been working in Rio for a number of years, so booking with them shouldn't be any problem.

Phil

Edited: 7:25 am, March 22, 2011