We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parade with a Samba School?

Which Rio de Janeiro hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
Parade with a Samba School?

Hi - I'm hoping to parade with a samba school at this year's Carnival in Rio.

Does anyone know how I go about doing this?

I'm trying to arrange for the costume etc before heading out there, so if anyone has any recommnedations for agents from whom I can buy the costume and ticket, that would be great!

Houston-Lisbon-Rio...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
1,067 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parade with a Samba School?

Greetings,

This is easily arranged.

First contact the school that you would like to parade with. Almost all of the Samba Schools have web sites, for example "Beija Flor's web site is:

http://www.beija-flor.com.br/index2.html

wherein you can find contact information. Call the school and ask about joining them in the parade. Some schools (like Beija Flor above) are very popular and may not have many slots for extra participants, also we are very close to Carneval, so call as soon as you can.

The school will probably require that you attend at least one rehersal if possible. At the rehersal you will get your samba costume which is yours to keep.

Keep in mind that the costume and the privilege to participate in the parade come at a price and you will likely pay a few hundred pounds for the total package.

Some hotels can help you with arrangements in joining a Samba school for Carneval, so see if your hotel can assist you.

Most samba schools are in rough areas, so when you go make sure to take a taxi or hire a private driver who will drop you off and then collect you afterwards.

On the night your samba school has its parade, you will have make your own way to the Sambadromo and you will have to locate your school and wing (Setor). Don't worry too much about this part of it because as long as you get to the gathering place before your school enters the Sambadromo there will plenty of people around who can direct you to your school's staging area and many of them will speak english.

I hope you are able to get this set up because it will be an experience you will remember forever!

Safe travels to you!

George

London
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Parade with a Samba School?

Thnaks George. That's really helpful. A couple of points, though - I arrive from Salvador on Friday 24th (two days before the parades) - does this provide sufficent time to arrange participation direct with the schools?

Secondly, I'm afraid I don't speak/umderstand Portugese, so it's difficult with the schools direct. Are there any agents in Rio that you might recommend?

Thanks again for the help.

Houston-Lisbon-Rio...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
1,067 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parade with a Samba School?

Greetings,

You are cutting it close on the timing but I think it is still possible to be able to arange participation in a Samba school parade.

I do not personally know any any agents who can assist you but I would make these two suggestions:

1) Contact Luciano Sampaio of Rio VIP Tours

(Google search his contact info under RIO VIP Tours). He is an extremely helpful fellow and if he can't arrange this for you himself, I'm sure that he probably has all sorts of contacts that can make this happen for you.

2) See if your hotel can assist in any way. Going through your hotel will invariably be more expensive (as they will want their cut for helping you) but it is likely that the concierge of your hotel can get this set up for you as along as you are willing to pay.

Sorry I could not be more helpful.

George B.