We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a trip to Rio and BA

New York
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Planning a trip to Rio and BA

Hi all,

Me and my buddy planned a trip to Rio for the carnival but unfortunately we have to move it to mid of March due to personal reasons. Now we are planning to visit both Rio and BA from 03/10 to 03/20. I would be thankful if you guys could advice us to take the most out of our vacation.

Just to let you guys know that we are in late 20's and love to party, not big on touristy thing or food/wine. What else do you expect from two single guys in late 20's(lolz).

I am getting a ticket from NYC to RIO, RIO to BA, BA to RIO, and RIO to NYC for $770/person including taxes. Is it a good bargain?

I would appreciate if you can give me some inside about good hotels (location and 3 star and above), good night life spots, places to go, things to do. We both like beaches and women.

Thanks in advance.

Freddie

Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning a trip to Rio and BA

$700 for airfare is about as good as you'll find.

I usually recommend that people stay in Ipanema/Leblon, rather than Copacabana. Ipanema and Leblon and safer and less touristy than Copacabana (and the women are better looking, too). You'll also be closer to the best night spots. Unless you're looking for companionship to rent by the hour, there's no good reason to go to any night club in Copacabana, no matter what your taxi driver says.

The best night spots change on a pretty regular basis. The bars and clubs at the western end of Leblon (on R. Gal. San Martin, the first street back from the beach) are usually a good bet. There are also a couple of good options on R. Paul Redfern (first street east of the canal in Ipanema).

For places where tourists seldom venture, you can try R. J.J. Seabra in the Jardim Botanico neighborhood, where you'll find Caroline Cafe and the 2nd Devassa (Rio's microbrew) among others.

The best cocktail bar in Rio is on the second floor of Mix, across from the main square in Ipanema.

Bracarense in Leblon is a sidewalk bar which is good for a pre-dinner choppe on weekends.

Dance clubs come and go on a regular basis. You might try 00 near the planetarium in Gavea, and there are a couple on the main square in Ipanema. In general, things don't really get going until about midnight and let up around 5AM.

2. Re: Planning a trip to Rio and BA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:36 pm, January 24, 2006
New York
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning a trip to Rio and BA

Elchevere and Angostura,

Thanx for the information, it is really helpful for people going there for first time.

Do you think I should stay in BA for 3 days instead of 4, I mean, some people told me we will get bored after a while in BA, is it true?

Could you guys also give me rough figures for the hotels you mentioned? And if you could send me the website addresses?

Thanx

Miami, Florida
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
5,629 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning a trip to Rio and BA

Do 4 nights in BsAs and get some culture--you are from New York and will find BsAs to be a great walking town with an abundance of parks, great architecture, great and cheap food, history, etc. Besides, day 1 will be shot from your long plane ride, which will leave you with just 3 full days to explore the city....definitely grab a steak at Cabana Las Lilas in Puerto Madero (in my book there's Peter Luger and then all other steak houses...this place is truly special)...in fact there's supposed to be a really cool dance club in the nearby Opera House....grab dinner and check out the scene at Sucre--outstanding food and very modern design...catch a tango show in San Telmo...and, definitely check out the Palermo area...lots and lots of young people and a great walking part of town with cool little shops, great restaurants (inexpensive, I might add) and cool, intimate bars.....woman scene is definitely better in Rio, IMHO--though I did meet the most beautiful blonde in my life in a clothing shop off of Gurruchage, but how many times are you going to go back to BsAs?...As for the famous Black's (famous club with girls for hire) you can always check it out, but I would save my money for Rio. BsAs is a great city, you'll love it--just as you will love Rio (which also is a very cosmo city with great restaurants and lots to do--besides women and beach).

Miami, Florida
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
5,629 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning a trip to Rio and BA

Do a google search for Bobo Hotel in Buenos Aires (Palermo)...could be www.bobohotel.com (may or may not be a .ar immediately after .com)...cost should be +/- $100/night plus taxes with breakfast.

For Marina Palace Hotel, again, do a search on google..you can also check under epoquehotels.com Cost for an executive floor room (which I highly recommend) is +/- $145/night (if this hotel were in South Beach, it would easily be $ 250/night).

tempe
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning a trip to Rio and BA

Hello

plan going from Phoenix to Rio on February 22 and then back from Lima Peru to Phoenix on March 23 in my round-trip ticket is $814 on con no airlines. This is not include getting from two Limr Rio to Lima I will be doing a part of the trip on my own. I hope this gives you some kind of reasonably good comparison.

World hobo