We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommend a flat?

Which Rio de Janeiro hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
3 posts
Save Topic
Recommend a flat?

Can anyone point me to a flat rental site or someone who rents them? I have been to Rio a few times, but this time I want to stay in a flat. I am coming for two weeks in August. Thanks!

Sao Paulo,Brazil
Level Contributor
1,903 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommend a flat?

Go to http://www.accorhotels.com.br and there look for Parthenon Top Apart at R. João Lira, 95 - Leblon which I strongly recommend. The location can't be beat.

2. Re: Recommend a flat?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:15 pm, June 16, 2006
Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommend a flat?

This is a good option for a 2-week stay. A good listing is here: http://www.ipanema.com/rio/hotels/e/apart.htm

San Francisco
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommend a flat?

Hi Angostura,

I visited the website you mentioned and it asks for a credit card up front. Do you know the reason for this? I am hesitant to put my card in without being sure of the purpose.

Thanks! Alexa

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommend a flat?

Hi, GoToRio,

I thought I'd copy you my post about Rio Flat Rentals, in case you were thinking about renting from them.

----------------

Just this month, February 2006, I and six members of my family used Rio Flat Rentals to rent a four-bedroom apartment in Rio for seven nights. There were several negative aspects to the rental.

Josiane, their main email contact, was very helpful and responded promptly to all emails, though we found we had to take the intiative to ask any and all questions we might have wanted answered -- she didn't know how to offer information to us.

(1) First negative point: the apartment we rented was NOT in Copacabana, as indicated in the description, but in Leme, at the end of Avenida Atlantica. This disappointment was a problem because we wanted to be as close as possible to a relative who lived in Copacabana. Turns out she was a 45-minute walk away, so we had to take taxis back and forth.

(2) The major inconvenience with this agency is that they require you to pay the rent in full in cash upon arrival. I'm not particularly comfortable carrying a load of cash myself.

(3) We requested to pay in euros as we live in Paris and didn't want to have to deal with exchanging euros to dollars. They promised that we would pay the exchange rate in effect the day of our arrival, but they ended up using an emailed euro amount that we had never agreed to, to coerce us to pay a euro-dollar rate that was highly unfavorable to us. Because of this unprofessional behavior on their part, we ended up losing 100 euros and had to correspond with the agency on a few occasions to settle the matter, which disrupted our vacation.

(4) The apartment was very nice, though three of the rooms were so small that we all got bruises from bumping our legs on the corners of the beds. The kitchen was poorly equipped, so we couldn't really cook. We did use the dishes, refrigerator, and microwave. The apartment did NOT have the stereo and washing machine described online.

(5) We requested once that the agency send someone to clean the apartment. For a fee of 50 reais (not expensive), a woman spent three hours in the apartment (we were told she'd need two hours), only to leave one of the bathrooms a mess, uncleaned. To boot, we had to buy her the necessary cleaning supplies and tools.

This apartment was still a good option for us, as we needed four bedrooms. In the end, it was still much cheaper and more convenient than a hotel would have been. That said, we won't use this agency again.

I hope this post is helpful to you and others.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommend a flat?

Thanks for sharing that. I really appreciate it. I am hoping to make some connections with some Brazilians I know here in the states who have relatives in Rio. Seems to be the safest way to go. Thanks again.

Houston, TX
12 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommend a flat?

Go with Top Apart in Leblon! Lived there for 5 months and they have a very friendly staff and EXCELLENT LOCATION!