We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tips Travelling to Rio 3/06

Which Rio de Janeiro hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Canada
7 posts
Save Topic
Tips Travelling to Rio 3/06

2 single guys will be visiting Rio for 8 days in March '06. We're both from Canada.

Hoping someone has a few tips where to stay (4 stars minimum, but don't want to get sucked into expensive tourist traps),

what to avoid, what to watch out for, what some key attractions are.

We're mostly looking to have fun and go nuts!

Either post here or drop me a line:

ottawa27@yahoo.com

Houston-Lisbon-Rio...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
1,073 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tips Travelling to Rio 3/06

Greetings,

March is a great time to travel to Rio de Janeiro. Hopefully you will be arriving just after Carneval and not be subject to the extremely high hotel rates during that festive time.

Something to note is that 4 stars in Rio does not necessarily equate to 4 stars in Canada, the USA or Europe.

For "2 single guys" I would suggest that you stay at an hotel in the Ipanema section. I would recommend the Sol Ipanema Hotel which is directly across from Posto 9 on Ipanema beach. Posto 9 is the section of the beach where you will find the young, single "beautiful people" of Rio de Janeiro. For two single guys, Posto 9 would be a "target-rich" environment.

If you are interested in "going nuts" while in Rio, you will probably want to hit some of the better-known night clubs and discos.

Club Melt is a good place to start and you will no doubt hear a lot about "Help Disco" which is infamous due to all the "working girls" who frequent this dance club.

There are many other great choices for night clubs in Rio and I am sure some of the other TA members in this forum will post their favorites here for you.

What to do?

Do take in a couple of the local sights such as Cristo Redentor and Pao da Sucar. Perhaps a day trip to Buzios or Petropolis. Tandem hang-gliding is also a great activity to investigate.

What to avoid and watch out for?

Just use common sense as you would in any major city. Don't wear expensive watches or jewelry while walking around town. If you are using a camera (digital or otherwise) keep it in your pocket or a non-descript bag when not snapping photos. Try not to look too much like a tourist while walking about town (e.g. don't consult street maps as you wander around).

Finally, don't go walking into the Favelas unless you are in the company of a guide like Marcello Armstrong, Rejane Reis or Luciano Sampaio. These individuals are expert guides and know how to show you around this beautiful city in comfort and safety.

My next trip to Rio de Janeiro will also be in March 2006, so maybe we'll bump into each other.

I hope that this helps.

Safe travels to you!

George

Sao Paulo,Brazil
Level Contributor
1,905 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tips Travelling to Rio 3/06

As two single guys wanting to go nuts, may be you should consider staying at a flat. There are a few of them in Leblon, which is now my favourite neighborhood in Rio. It is a little cheaper than a hotel and you will feel like being in your own home.

8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tips Travelling to Rio 3/06

We were asking the same thing recently. You might want to check out the answers we got.

Cheers!

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g303506-i1199-k338…

Get answers to your questions about Rio de Janeiro