We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scuba Diving around Rio

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
83 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Scuba Diving around Rio

Hi,

Anyone know any good diving spots around Rio? And any good dive operators?

Thanks

Level Contributor
5,143 posts
674 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scuba Diving around Rio

Arraial do Cabo and Ilha Grande are the main spots. Cold water diving with limited viz from what I've heard, though we haven't dove there ourselves.

We headed North to Fernando de Noronha for some excellent diving - much better there from what everyone says. You'll have to fly from Rio, though.

Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scuba Diving around Rio

The main diving spots near Rio are Arraial do Cabo and Angra dos Reis (Ilha Grande). Both are about 2 hours from Rio in opposite directions.

The water in Arraial is colder than in Angra, and viz is usually about 15 to 20 meters in both. There are some interesting wrecks off Angra.

Fernando de Noronha is so good that it has ruined scuba diving for me for the rest of my life. (Since you live reasonably close to Bali and the Great Barrier Reef, you won't have this problem.) However, Noronha is close to Rio in about the same way the Sydney is close to Perth. It's a 3.5 hour flight to Recife or Natal, followed by a 1-hour connecting flight to the island.

Chicago
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Scuba Diving around Rio

Hi,

I am going to Rio this winter... I was wondering if you guys did go diving and if you would suggest shops and spots.

Thanks

Erika

Chicago
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Scuba Diving around Rio

Hi,

I am going to Rio this winter... I was wondering if you guys did go diving and if you would suggest shops and spots.

Thanks

Erika

Ann Arbor Michigan
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Scuba Diving around Rio

Did you find a good dive operator in Rio? I'll be down there next week and at Christmas, and want to look into both daytrips and longer trips.

Thanks!

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
841 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scuba Diving around Rio

There are great places to dive around Rio. The best are:

- Ilha Grande & Angra dos Reis islands

- Cabo Frio & Arraial do Cabo

These places are not so far away, they can be visited on day trips from Rio.

Ann Arbor Michigan
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Scuba Diving around Rio

What are the dive shops that organize trips from Rio?

8. Re: Scuba Diving around Rio

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:23 am, August 23, 2009