We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rio for New Years

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
56 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Rio for New Years

I will be traveling to Rio and staying in Copacabana for New Years (dec 30 to jan 3). Where do I start? Is there a main area to celebrate fireworks, etc.? I plan to do the touristy sightseeing stuff during the day. But is it safe to go to bars and clubs at night? Safety is a concern for me since I will be traveling alone. Please help me with suggestions if you can, thanks!

Rio
Level Contributor
1,500 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Rio for New Years

Where do you start...what?

The main area to view the fireworks on NY eve is anywhere along the 6 km stretch of horse- shoe-shaped Copacabana beach as the fireworks show is on the beach.If you have a hotel room fronting the beach you can have a party. That is a common NY eve phenomenon.

It is safe to go to bars and clubs at night. As you might expect, street crime increases around NY eve because there are lots of tourists in town for the bad people to take advantage of. Try not to appear as a tourist and practice common sense to minimize chances of vacation souring incidents, e.g., dress casually to fit in, do not get drunk and go walking on the streets at night (use taxis as they are relatively cheap and safe except on NY eve when prices are skewed and trips are tied up by traffic),do not buy drugs from strangers, do not wear your camera, good watch or jewelry so that they are visble, do not consult maps when on the street, do not allow street urchins to surround you as they may pick your pocket or grab your fanny pack.

When you go to the beach during the day, DO NOT take valuables with you. No watches or jewelry. If you are alone on the beach you should ask the guy at your barraka (drink/concession stands that dot the beach) to hold your wallet/cash which he will gladly do for his customers.

Try to plan your activities, which clubs you want to go to, and ask your hotel concierge for advice. Do some research.

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rio for New Years

I will be in Rio for New Years too. I want to know what the good clubs are to be in for a fun, not too expensive party on the 31st. Does anyone have any suggestions??

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
56 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Rio for New Years

Hey crowgirl, I'm not sure if you might be looking for someone to sightsee with. I'm traveling alone from the LA area and wouldn't mind some company for a meal or something. I'm hoping to hit a club or two during that time also. I have a pic up (I'm gay by the way). Anyway, let me know if you might be interested.

Get answers to your questions about Rio de Janeiro