All, I am planning a visit to Brazil at the end of Jan 09 / beginning of Feb 09. Long story short, here is my initial itinerary, which covers Manaus, Sao Paulo, and Rio. I will be posting this in the other city's forums as well, to get general advice.
Day 01 Sat, Jan 31 MIA to MAO
Day 02 Sun, Feb 1 Hotel/rest day in Manaus
Day 03 Mon, Feb 2 Amazon Riders Day 01
Day 04 Tue, Feb 3 Amazon Riders Day 02
Day 05 Wed, Feb 4 Amazon Riders Day 03
Day 06 Thu, Feb 5 Amazon Riders Day 04
Day 07 Fri, Feb 6 Hotel/rest day in Manaus
Day 08 Sat, Feb 7 Fly from Manaus to Sao Paulo
Day 09 Sun, Feb 8 Mercado Municipal; MASP; March st Market; Avienda Paulista; Liberdade area; Jardins area
Day 10 Mon, Feb 9 Nature Jeep Tour
Day 11 Tue, Feb 10 Fly from Sao Paulo to Rio
Day 12 Wed, Feb 11 Jardim Botanico; Corcovado mountain; Tijuca national park
Day 13 Thu, Feb 12 Copacabana beach; Sugar Loaf Mountain
Day 14 Fri, Feb 13 Ipanema beach and shops; Spa
Day 16 Sat, Feb 14 GIG to MIA
1) Tourist VISA: where do i pick up a tourist VISA for my stay? If i book a United Airlines flight into Manaus, do i get the VISA through United ?
2) Internal flights: I need to fly from Manaus to Sao Paulo, and then from Sao Paulo to Rio. How do i decide whether to get the Brazil Airpass, or just book each individual flight? What is the best way for a US citizen to obtain the Airpass, OR make the individual flight reservations, using a US credit card ?
3) Vaccinations: I will be scheduling vaccinations for yellow fever, malaria, typhoid, and other necessary ones. Do i need to carry vaccination proof documents with me?
4) Language: i will be getting a pocket dictionary / list of common phrases to study well before leaving the US. Should this be enough to communicate in each city?
5) Itinerary recommendations? - - I know that my Sao Paulo and Rio schedules are "tight" .. but that's how i like to do things.. i'm much less of a "lounge on beach" person, and more of a "walk around the city from sunrise to sunset" and see everything i possibly can. My "rest" days and "beach stuff" are only in there because of the others who may join me on the trip. Any other must-see's, outside of the things i've listed above, which i gathered from TA forum posters? I generally prefer jungle/activity/nature things, instead of beach/resort/history things, in general.
Thanks in advance !!