We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

American exchange students??

Port Huron, Michigan
6 posts
Save Topic
American exchange students??

Hello

I was just wondering if there are any American or English speaking exchange students in the Rio De Janeiro area that could help me out if I had any troubles while in town. I am a female travelling alone and a bit nervous about it. Thanks.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ...
Level Contributor
82 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: American exchange students??

Dear TA Friend.

I was an exchange student in a small town, very close from you, called Pinckney. I graduated in 1986.

Well I am a Brazilian living in Rio, if you need some help you can contact me, I will be glad to help.

I run a tour business but I can help you giving you orientation and advices.

You can find a link to my personal page at: tripadvisor.com/Resources-g303506-Maps-Rio_d…

Send me an email or just keep my cell phone number with you.

Where are you planning to stay ?

I wish you a great time in Rio.

Luciano Sampaio

Rio VIP Tour

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: American exchange students??

There is a FGV Fundacao Getulio Vargas where a lot of American business school student study. Brazilians are very friendly so just go visit the school and you're sure to make a few friends when you get there. There will be someone who is willing to take you out or invite you to a fejoda.

Sao Paulo
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: American exchange students??

If you think to be afraid, best solution is visit not only RIO. Brazil is beautiful and in not so big towns maybe you will fell yourself more confident. Anyway there are several Universities in RIO where you can find some exchange solution. One example and information :- http://www.gar.uff.br/aai/information.htm.

Why not travel to Salvador or other towns ??? In Sao Paulo, for example night is very hot, like a Brazilian NY. This is only one option from several you can find - search in tripadivisor a lot of then