We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Movie just released: City of Men - VERY good!

Which Rio de Janeiro hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
2,515 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Movie just released: City of Men - VERY good!

People who are on these boards and love Brazil might enjoy seeing the movie "Children of God." It's been given high marks in reviews that I've seen. My husband and I saw it tonight. I think it was done by the same guy who did "City of God". It tells the story of 2 boys who are very close friends and have been for most of their lives. They live in a favela and boy, you KNOW this is no movie set! It was truly filmed in one of the favelas south of Ipanema. We have only toured a favela and things the guide told us are demonstrated in the story. (For instance, during a gang war, a gang leader tells his 'army' not to hurt any locals. Another time fireworks go off when the cops are coming. And a guy who mugs a woman gets into trouble w/the gang because something like that brings in the cops. There is a lot of poignancy in the movie and the acting is very believable and good. Some of the scenes show the amazing views from up high in the favela and anyone who has visited that area will see so many things they recognize! This movie has English subtitles. I urge everyone to see it!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Movie just released: City of Men - VERY good!

cruiser!!! how are you??? you doin' ok??

is this the brasilian movie that was nominated for an oscar?

Brasilia, DF
Level Contributor
884 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Movie just released: City of Men - VERY good!

Pointlo, the one that got Oscar indications in 2003/2004 was "Cidade de Deus" ("City of God"). Since then no Brazilian movie was nominated for any prize. Only a Brazilian named Carlos Saldanha, responsible for "Ice Age 2", has been close to winning that prize. This year's movie that was on the short-list to get nominated is called "The Year My Parents Went on Vacation".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O_Ano_em_Que_Meus_Pais_Saíram_de_Férias

…wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Academy_Awards_n…

http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lista_de_indicações_de_filmes_brasileiros_para_os_prêmios_Oscar

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
56 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Movie just released: City of Men - VERY good!

Fully agree with mlbcruiser, it is an excellent movie, although just to confirm (certainly in the UK & Brasil) the title is 'City of Men' / 'Cidade de Homens' as you put in the title of the post.

Its a follow up to the TV show City of Men and continues the story on from where the show left off. There are a lot of references to previous storylines, but fortunatley I don't think that it is essential to have seen the shows to enjoy and appreciate what is happening in the film.

Bone up on more favela life by going to see 'Elite Squad' / 'Tropa de Elite' next.

Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Movie just released: City of Men - VERY good!

Thanks mlb, for the review. The film seems to be opening in "art" theatres around the U.S. this weekend.

There are also 3 (maybe 4) DVDs available, each with 5 episodes of the actual TV show Cidade dos Homens (City of Men). Each DVD is from a different season as these two boy actors who play Aceraola and Laranjinha grew up, starting when they were both about 9 or 10 years old, right after the City of Men show spun off from the film City of God.

The TV shows reveal the more "mundane" side of the boys' life and some episodes are quite amusing as well. For example, the boys have to take a round about route from one house to another because of gang territory. In another episode, they are charged with delivering the mail to the labirinthine neighborhood with no house numbers or street signs. Or in another episode, Acerola ends up getting the tables turned after lording it over the other boys during the short time his sister is dating a trafficante.

You can check the DVDs out at some of these sites:

amazon.com/Cidade-Dos-Homens-Terceira-Tempor…

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0364801/

www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp…

Atlanta, Ga
Level Contributor
424 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Movie just released: City of Men - VERY good!

favela tour?

D-Nice757
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Movie just released: City of Men - VERY good!

If anyone wants to watch City of Men now send me a message and I'll send you the link. You need to have shockwave in order to watch it. There is no downloading. It's as if you were watching Youtube. The movie is in excellent quality and I'm not sure how the mods would feel about me posting it here

London
Level Contributor
1,051 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Movie just released: City of Men - VERY good!

"Since then no Brazilian movie was nominated for any prize"

Au contraire, "Tropa de Elite" won the Golden Bear (best film prize)at last month's Berlin film festival.

London
Level Contributor
1,051 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Movie just released: City of Men - VERY good!

Unless you're referring specifically to the Oscars, of course..

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
292 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Movie just released: City of Men - VERY good!

I actually have the DVD's of this show. I LOVE it. I can't wait for the movie to be released here in Canada!

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
56 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Movie just released: City of Men - VERY good!

Waiting for it in Canada??? It's already been released worldwide. Mininova is a good friend.

Get answers to your questions about Rio de Janeiro