We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help room over carnival

Which Rio de Janeiro hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Homestead,Florida
Level Contributor
58 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
help room over carnival

hi all,

help please...trying to find accommodation in rio from the 1st to the 7th of feb. on a budget, would really like to be in ipanema, copa or leblon area. I don't mind stayimh with a family. this is for two people.

thank you in advance for you help

New York City
Destination Expert
for Sosua
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help room over carnival

As you probably figured out by now, your request will be a difficult one to fill during Carnival... That said, you might want to check out Craigslist and see if anyone's offering something within your budget. But frankly, during Carnival, I doubt it.

If I were you, I'd be looking into less pricey neighborhoods near Zona Norte like Flamengo, Santa Teresa or Botafogo...

Good luck and keep us posted!

Homestead,Florida
Level Contributor
58 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: help room over carnival

hi flyguy,

thank you....I did find somewhere in copa but the cost for 7 nites was 3 months mortage for me. I check out the area's you recommended. thanks again

New York City
Destination Expert
for Sosua
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: help room over carnival

Have you considered staying in an apartment? The cost divided in half between the two should be significantly cheaper than a comparable hotel... You may encounter resistance due to the fact that most apartment agencies would like their guests to stay for a 10 day minimum during Carnival and New Years, but I think it's worth a shot to call a few...

I currently use www.gringomanagement.com and also highly recommend www.rioapartments.com who I've rented from on my first trip down... Expect to pay about $100 a night for a modest 1 bedroom.

Good luck!

Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: help room over carnival

Or rethink where you want to spend those dates. There are many pleasant smaller locations where prices are not quite so high as Rio, although most popular destinations in Brazil raise prices for this period.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
209 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: help room over carnival

Hi

How about the Hostel option?

Rio, in the past 5 years has really warmed up to the hostel idea and, much like Paris and Barcelona, has many options for hostel lodging.

My suggestion:

Stone of copa

mellow yellow

Some of these places offer a private room at a little higher rates.

cheers

jose

rioturist

Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: help room over carnival

Jose--

FYI--People talking about "on a budget" seldom realize that even for a dorm bed in a hostel in Rio at Carnaval, they are going to have to buy a package and spend a lot more than they may have expected. Mellow Yellow has 7 nights in a dorm bed for R$1260 and double rooms for R$3500, if they still have availability. Although this may not seem like a lot to some tourist who is used to paying to stay in a reasonably nice hotel, it can seem like a fortune to the "budget" crowd used to paying R$30 per night. for that same dorm bed

New York City
Destination Expert
for Sosua
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: help room over carnival

7 nights at those rates for a hostel? ...Wow, who'd thunk it?!! Well, she's definitely better off seeking an apartment somewhere far away from the Copa-Ipa area... And we'll need to determine what "budget" she's working with.... The hostel rates weren't expensive, only outrageous for what she's potentially (not) getting.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
679 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: help room over carnival

I saw a hostel in Lapa that had rates for carnival around R$ 19 a bed in a dorm. Dont know how much they will charge this year.... Is away from the beaches, but is a cheaper option.

www.sambavilla.com.br (could be only .com too, I´m not sure).

But I agree with everyone, Carnival is the most expensive time in Rio, followed from New Years eve. Depending on your budget, maybe is better renting an apartment.

Anyway, hurry up! everyone is running out of avaliabillity!

best of luck!

Gabriela

Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: help room over carnival

Let's be careful about confusing less knowlegable posters with regular (high-season) rates for any accomodation with those rates for Carnaval. Samba VIlla, the cheapest hostel in Rio, does indeed advertise that regular price, but for a 7 night Carnaval package even they are charging R$840, 6 times their regular nightly rate, if indeed they still have any availability. While that may not be much for some posters, it may still represent "sticker shock" for people used to that level of accomodation.

10. Re: help room over carnival

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 pm, September 12, 2009