We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rio to Amazon

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
40 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Rio to Amazon

Going to be in Rio for a week and wanted to check out the amazon. What are the options and what is the distance. Is it worth a day trip or two day trip?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
251 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rio to Amazon

well you would definitely need more than 1 day. probably one day of travel just to get there. it might be like going from Chicago to Utah or something.

For something outdoorsy, and closer, you could go to Ilha Grande in Angra dos Reis. there's also a botanical garden in Rio.

and in the centro, there's a park with huge weird cats.

However, check out flights from Rio to Campo Grande or Manaus for getting to the Amazon.

Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Rio to Amazon

It will take you almost a day to get there and another to get back from Rio. The actual flight is 3 hours. It's about 2000 miles.

If you are thinking you'd like to see animals and birds, you might want to research trips to the Pantanal.

London
Level Contributor
1,054 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Rio to Amazon

Rio-Manaus is actually over 5 hrs (there are no non stop flights) & is about 1800 miles. It's a bit like me visiting NYC for a week from London & deciding to "check out" LA while I'm there.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
683 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rio to Amazon

Cachaceiro got it right. Amazon from Rio is a minimum five day trip and expensive at that.

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
183 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rio to Amazon

I too am considering a similar trip, although I would be in Brazil for 2 weeks and am not yet sure if i'd take a package deal to Salvador or make my own trip staying in Rio or Sao Paulo.

What kind of prices can I expect to pay for 3-4 day trip to the Amazon from one of those southern cities and are there regular flights/scedualed trips from Salvador to do similar things?

I know a girl who is originally from Sao Paulo, adopted when she was 3 weeks old and taken over here and we'd both like for her to see her heritage in the flesh, so even if we were to go to Salvador, is it easy enough to get to Sao Paulo and Rio and what kind of prices?

Thanks a lot.

Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Rio to Amazon

KyleR84--

Check the fares on GOL (www.voegol.com.br), usually the cheapest for domestic flights (Rio, S.P. Manaus, etc), and TAM as well. The earlier you purchase, the better. Fares tend to rise closer to departure date.

Some folks like Cachaseiro may be able to help you with the cheapest flights from Britain. Someone was talking about this site recently:

http://www.brazilinfo.co.uk/

Getting around in Brazil is relatively easy for those of a mind to do so. For examples, look to folks like 'mlb' planning her trip on the forum, rather than the timid who are intimidated by rumors. For any of the places you've mentioned, you can arrange your own flights and accomodations (in all price ranges--US$9/night to US$500/night) faily easily. Ask lots of questions here on the forum.

Bring a good phrasebook with you and try to learn a little Portuguese before you travel.

Salvador is well worth visiting, but the package tours leave you quite inconveniently far from the city's culture and sights. Check the site www.bahia-online.net for lots of good info about Salvador and environs.

For Amazon trip, the least expensive is to arrive in Manaus with an idea of someone reliable (there are lots of spam denunciations on forums recently--check a good guidebook) with whom you might wish to go, but there are a lot of tours one can arrange from there on arrival.

However, for animals and birds, you might consider the Pantanal instead. Much better.

A good site for Rio is www.ipanema.com

Sao Paulo is big, urban, with lots of high-rises, not much touristic to see but enough, good restaurants and nightlife--but the area the girl was adopted from is probably not accessible or wise for a tourist to visit, perhaps one of the favelas on the margins of the city or maybe out by the airport.

Some online S.P. guides:

carnaval.com/cityguides/…sao_paulo.htm

myworldsouthamerica.com/saopaulosaopaulo.html

brazilmax.com/news.cfm/…4

(in Portuguese) www.guiasp.com.br/guiasp/site/home/?mn=1

Keep asking questions on the forum as you plan your trip.

For other perspectives, also try these forums: Lonely Planet's Thorn Tree, Virtual Tourist, Bahia Online, Gringoes, Boots N All.

7. Re: Rio to Amazon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 pm, September 10, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Rio de Janeiro