We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

US point of departure

Warrensburg...
Level Contributor
12 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
US point of departure

Does anyone know where the best point of departure is for Brazil? or even another SA country where I could cheaply get to Rio within a week or so? I speak Spanish, English, and really bad Portuguese (it's more like Portuñol) so I don´t mind traveling through other SA countries.

I live in Kansas City, but don't mind lots of connections if it will save me the cash -- the adventure is in the travel :)

I'm looking to spend about 3-4 weeks mainly in Rio from mid-Dec to Mid-Jan. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!!!

Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: US point of departure

Well, the closest U.S. city to Brazil is, of course, Miami. And the closest point in Brazil would be Manaus.

For connections through other S.A. cities, you might also post tothe folks on Lonely Planet's Thorn Tree forum. the majority of whom seem to be budget travellers and/or travelling to multiple countries.

The other thing to consider is that your stated travel dates put you right in the middle of high season and high season rates. Fares go up considerably on December 9.

The Brazilian agencies BACC Travel and Chang Express (Google them.) usually have the cheapest fares from the U.S. east coast, through NYC or Miami, and have begun offering some fares from the west coast. Usually the west coast travellers connect through Texas or Miami.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
193 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: US point of departure

Delta flies from Atlanta to Rio (without stopping in Sao Paulo)

RI
Level Contributor
334 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: US point of departure

You might ask a travel agent to look into it. I don't know the answer, but here's an idea.

Sometimes you can find a cheap flight on Southwest to Ft. Lauderdale, like their $54 sale fares. From there, you can fly AA from Miami to Lima for around $310 with tax. GOL will then fly you Lima to Rio. I don't know GOL, but I randomly picked some dates and they wanted $410 with taxes.

Also, there are sometimes cheaper flights from Miami to Montevideo or Sao Paolo on Copa or Taca, connecting in Central America. Maybe it's possible to save money with a plane/bus combo.

P.S. To add to the last post, United is starting to fly nonstop from DC.

RI
Level Contributor
334 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: US point of departure

I meant to add: Or take GOL Lima to Sao Paolo for $270 with tax. Then a bus to Rio. You won't know if you save anything this way unless you actually price out the exact dates.

P.S. There is risk in having separate tickets instead of everything on one ticket. If a late flight causes you to miss the next one, the airline is not obligated to help you out.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: US point of departure

AA flying time, mia-gig, is just a little over 8 hours. it's at night, so you will get a dinner, then the lights are turn down, and all the kids actually sleep. about 2 hours before landing, breakfast is served and then you land. every other departure point, for me, seems so much longer.

if you have the time, play around on the different travel sites and see what pops up.

RI
Level Contributor
334 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: US point of departure

I think pointloman is right. I only posted that idea because of the comment about not minding lots of connections if it will save money.

Idaho
Level Contributor
106 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: US point of departure

I searched the same thing. I found that the American Airlines Flight from Miami was the shortest and easiet. Delta does fly direct. Northwest has limited flights. Argentina? Airlines has some flights. There are some flights out of Houston as well. I used Expedia to find out the options and then chose American. We are actually flying Redeye from Seattle the spending the day in Miami then flying Redeye to Buenos Aires then flying out of Rio back to Miami. They did have Rio flights

8. Re: US point of departure

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:20 am, September 10, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Rio de Janeiro