We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety advice for couple traveling next week.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
66 posts
1 review
Safety advice for couple traveling next week.

Hello,

My husband and I will be traveling to Rio and Isla Grande 12/22-12/30. We are a mid 30s couple from Florida staying at the Belmond Copacabana Palace. I know that safety in Rio can be an issue, to always stay aware of our surroundings, and not wear any fancy jewelry. What about iPhones? We use our phones as a camera, and of course would like to photograph our trip. Is it safe to take phones out for quick photos? I’m also wondering about carrying a small cross body bag to hold the phone and small amounts of money or credit card. Any advice on the best way for us to carry these items? We’d like to do a lot of walking around during the day, but at night we will ask the hotel to assit in provinging transportation to dinner. Any last minute advice to help us be prepared and safe would be greatly appreciated! Thank you very much!

3 replies to this topic
Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
28,507 posts
30 reviews
137 helpful votes
1. Re: Safety advice for couple traveling next week.

iPhones are magnets for muggers. Be super careful and blink-of-the-eye fast when using your iPhone.

The small cross body bag could easily be snatched; keep your phone and cash in a zippered inside pocket.

Watch out for young people on bikes who seemed to be coming uncomfortably close while your iPhone is in your hand.

6 posts
1 review
2. Re: Safety advice for couple traveling next week.

Thanks for the update. Myself and husband (late thirties) will also be travelling to Rio in December for the new year. Generally quite safety conscious while travelling, the stories have made us quite alarmed. Am wondering what extra precautions we can take

Petropolis, RJ
Level Contributor
1,035 posts
9 reviews
2 helpful votes
3. Re: Safety advice for couple traveling next week.

Lots of people will be using I phones on the streets, but it's more recommendable to use more modest smartphones for the selfies.

Reply to: Safety advice for couple traveling next week.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Rio de Janeiro