We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Fasano hotel - where is it located?

New York City
Level Contributor
146 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
New Fasano hotel - where is it located?

I see the new Fasano is opening by July, hopefully. Yet, the website and other information doesn't seem to identify where on Ipanema it is exactly. When we were in Rio last year we saw a new hotel going up at the far end of Leblon, as you turn to go up the road to the Sheraton on Neimeyer. It was kind of caddy-corner to the Leblon beach. Is that where it is? Or, is it way at the other end of Ipanena, closer to the Sofitel?

Also, has anyone seen how it looks from the outside?

Also, we are thinking of returning to Rio in mid-August. I know the seasons are reversed but, is it still sun bathing weather? Will the ocean be much colder than in February? And, is the feel of the city very different in their winter, as compared to summer?

Obrigado.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
683 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Fasano hotel - where is it located?

The new Fasano is going in at the beginning of Ipanema beach. Right near Arpoador and on the beach front. It looks like it is almost ready now but they still have the fencing up. It's a very kind of dark wood chique style from the outside. I'm sure it will be very nice inside.

As far as August goes, it is the winter here but Rio rarely gets cold. However, starting from mid to late August, there seem to be more cloudy (not necessarily raining) days. On a sunny day, the beach will be lively as the locals go to the beach all year long. On cloudy days not so much in the winter. The water temperature doesn't change much during the year. The water is generally kind of cold all year long due to the predominant ocean currents. The city is pretty much the same all year long.

New York City
Level Contributor
146 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Fasano hotel - where is it located?

Thank you JohnnyD.

I have an email into the hotel concerning a "real" opening date and pricing. We aren't really familiar with that end of Ipanema but, I imagine it should be nice if the Fasano located there. And, everything is close with taxis.

We have previously stayed in the neighborhood of Posto No. 9 and that is our favorite location re: beach and shopping.

Also, thank you for the info on the beach and weather. Frankly, when we've been to Rio in the summer (your summer) the weather has been so good that we don't find ourselves doing that much but heading to the beach, and shopping in the late afternoon.

Miami, Florida
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
5,817 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Fasano hotel - where is it located?

Fasano opening date has been pushed back a couple of times already so keep on checking.

Following is contact information I have on file for their sister property in Sao Paulo--perhaps they can help you:

Alessandra Gianni

Reservations Agent

Fasano Hotel & Restaurante

Rua Vittório Fasano, 88

01414-020 São Paulo SP

Brasil

Tel: 55 11 3896-4000

Fax: 55 11 3896-4156

reservation@fasano.com.br

Be prepared for sticker shock as prices per night will be $ 420 USD.

Miami, Florida
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
5,817 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Fasano hotel - where is it located?

Tengo:

Forgot...location is very close to restaurant Barrill 1800 (block away heading towards Copacabana).

NYC
Level Contributor
3,422 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Fasano hotel - where is it located?

Baril recently classed up the place in preperation for the new clientele I presume. They paved over the mosaic sidewalk (sacrilege..if you ask me) with cherry wood flooring for outdoor dining. Candles are now on every table. The valet parking is now more apparent. The valet wears a jacket and stands at a podium. They've also revamped the menu; omitting my favorite chicken lasagna. The prices went up a little. The portions are huge though, so it's still reasonable.

New York City
Level Contributor
146 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Fasano hotel - where is it located?

Thank you for the info, and the email for the sister property in Sao Paolo.

I emailed the address on the Fasano Rio website a couple days ago and haven't heard back, yet. I will now try the Sao Paolo site. On some hotel sites it looks like a room is around $350 per night, which - I hope - is the rack rate. Perhaps they have better "intro" specials.

Frankly, I hope the hotel does well. For such an incredibe city it appears to me like Rio is in need of some new or renovated properties.

Obrigado again.

New York City
Level Contributor
146 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Fasano hotel - where is it located?

After my email to the Fasano in Sao Paolo, the Fasano in Rio got back to me on prices. The lowest priced room is about US $450; that is for a courtyard view.

Ahy Chihuaha!

Now, you would think they should have some great "we just opened and likely can't even find the dinnerware yet and are still training our staff" discount."

Miami, Florida
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
5,817 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New Fasano hotel - where is it located?

does that include Giselle Bundchen? (only kidding).

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
683 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New Fasano hotel - where is it located?

For anyone interested, I took some photos (with the cell phone) of the new hotel. See the link below:

www.tripadvisor.com/members-photos/JohnnyD

NYC
Level Contributor
3,422 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New Fasano hotel - where is it located?

The new Fasano is featured in a spread in this months Vogue. June issue hitting newstands now. There's only 1 picture of the pool, which apparently is complete, holds water, and safe for models to dance in. (p. 168-9) Othewise the spead has some other great shots of Ipanema. (not one piece from a Brazilian designer in the entire freakin spread though....what's up with that??)

Thank god I'm departing next week, otherwise veiwing this would leave me with feelings of inadequacy in the fun dept on this dreadful NYC weekend

Get answers to your questions about Rio de Janeiro