We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe transportation from downtown Rio to Copabana after dark

Belo Horizonte, MG
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Safe transportation from downtown Rio to Copabana after dark

Hi, I'm basically planning to join two of Rio Free Walker's Tours: Food Tour Santa Teresa (freewalkertours.com/rio/…) and Tour Olympic Boulevard and African Heritage (freewalkertours.com/rio/…). Both tours will end around 6:30 PM, which I suppose to be after dark, and I start getting a bit paranoid of going back to hotel by myself. My hotel is near Copabana beach (Boulevard B&B, says). I'm wondering how to get back to hotel safely.

Mentioned in this post
Rio By Bike Tours
Rio By Bike Tours
864 Reviews
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Santa Teresa
Santa Teresa
1,518 Reviews
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
11 replies to this topic
Petropolis, RJ
Level Contributor
494 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe transportation from downtown Rio to Copabana after dark

Oh that's sooooooooo late!!!!!But..... guess what! Rio has eletric lights!!!!!!!!!

Edited: 10:05 am, June 16, 2018
Mentioned in this post
Rio By Bike Tours
Rio By Bike Tours
864 Reviews
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Belo Horizonte, MG
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe transportation from downtown Rio to Copabana after dark

@ManoelNetto-----Z I know but since I've read that crime rate spikes after dark I just want some reassurance DX

Belo Horizonte, MG
Level Contributor
390 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe transportation from downtown Rio to Copabana after dark

Easiest is to set up an Uber account on your phone. (Use it a few times before you travel to Rio to make sure it works ok and you have a “rating”). I use the cash option but with credit card linked it’s even easier. Uber is safe and you have a digital record of your driver (which you can share with anyone you want via screen capture) and the route.

Mentioned in this post
Rio By Bike Tours
Rio By Bike Tours
864 Reviews
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
4. Re: Safe transportation from downtown Rio to Copabana after dark

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 6:35 am, June 11, 2018

Richmond-upon-Thames...
Level Contributor
148 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safe transportation from downtown Rio to Copabana after dark

Just take the metro. It really isn't that bad out there that you couldn't walk a few blocks to catch public transport.

I walk everywhere when i'm in Rio and never had any hairy moments whatsoever.

Mentioned in this post
Rio By Bike Tours
Rio By Bike Tours
864 Reviews
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Seattle
Level Contributor
1,116 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safe transportation from downtown Rio to Copabana after dark

Assuming the tours finish close to a Metro station, just take the Metro back to Copacabana. There should be plenty of people entering and leaving the Metro at that time. Or take an Uber or taxi back to Copacabana. Uber with non-surge rates is cheaper than a taxi, but it's a relatively short trip so not that expensive.

Mentioned in this post
Copacabana Beach
Copacabana Beach
21,406 Reviews
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
7. Re: Safe transportation from downtown Rio to Copabana after dark

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:05 pm, June 19, 2018
Edited: 10:05 pm, June 19, 2018

Belo Horizonte, MG
Level Contributor
390 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safe transportation from downtown Rio to Copabana after dark

Lighten up Francis

Edited: 8:34 am, June 12, 2018
Belo Horizonte, MG
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Safe transportation from downtown Rio to Copabana after dark

I don't want to hijack my own thread, but Manoel Netto, you're the rudest person I've ever been interacted with. I simply ask a question in this collaborative community. It's surprising that such a straightforward, typical question holds me a "troll" title from a complete stranger on the Internet. I'm asking simply because I'm very unfamiliar with Brazil. If you think my question is "inappropriate", which I don't know what your standard of inappropriateness means, then there is a button called "Report inappropriate content." It is absolutely unnecessary (and unacceptable up to the modern world's ethics) to use ad hominem comments.

Mentioned in this post
Brazil
Brazil
South America
Houston-Lisbon-Rio...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
1,088 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safe transportation from downtown Rio to Copabana after dark

Greetings,

To echo others who posted earlier on this thread, the UBER suggestion is my personal favorite but if your tours do end near the metro that, too, is a fine suggestion. I don't think of 6:30 as all that late but I am a fairly security conscious person and while in Rio (or anywhere abroad) I prefer taking a taxi, radio cab or UBER in most all cases after sunset.

To the poster above who took issue with the comment "the Metro isn't so bad...", that statement was not made by an American but rather someone from the UK and it was an entirely inoffensive, harmless statement of fact which was posted as part of a helpful response...unlike the insultingly poor form displayed by that individual who found the "Metro" comment so unsettling.

Safe travels!

George B.

Edited: 10:04 pm, June 19, 2018
Mentioned in this post
Rio By Bike Tours
Rio By Bike Tours
864 Reviews
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reply to: Safe transportation from downtown Rio to Copabana after dark
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted