We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Nacional

Which Rio de Janeiro hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
107 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Nacional

I am planning my second trip to Rio, and was speaking to my grandfather, who was relating his experiences when he traveled to Brazil about 35 years ago.

He said he stayed in the Hotel Nacional in Rio a couple of weeks after it opened. I've done a bit of research and know that Niemeyer designed the hotel (I believe it is in Sao Conrado). From the little bit I have found, it sounds like it was quite the hotel in its time.

I see (from Google Earth) that the hotel is still around;does anyone know if it still open?

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
209 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Nacional

Hi

The buildingis still there but its been empty for over 20 years. There was a developer that was gona turn the hotel into office spaces years ago but it stumbled on the Brazilian burocracy. I heard one can buy the whole thing for under 10 million US.

I you would like to stay in the near vicinity, then there is the Intercontinental across the street from the Nacional. Very nice and confortable hotel. Resort style.

cheers

jose

rioturist

2. Re: Hotel Nacional

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:22 am, August 30, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Rio de Janeiro