We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Too dangerous?

Detroit, MI
Level Contributor
77 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Too dangerous?

Hi all,

I have read many posts on safety in Rio and it would appear most trips go off without incident. The advice appears sound and mostly common sense. I have been to Mexico 4 times, Jamaica, Turks & Caicos, Punta Cana (in May), Romania...seems the advise is fairly universal. Don't wear flashy clothes or jewelry (why even BRING it???), stay away from unlit areas or areas that are sparsely populated, don't carry large amounts of cash, wallets, original travel docs, etc....

None the less, my girlfriend is a little worried because a co-worker told her that there are kidnapping rings in Rio that abduct Americans and hold them for ransom...it was alledgely relayed to the co-worker by a hotel doorman in the middle of the day (I wouldn't go out there...) We are going in December and I was hoping to gather some encouraging replies to my post. I tend to believe as long common sense is used, along with a little research, trips to foreign places should not be feared. Also, I tend to believe if there were a real threat, the US State Department would have issued a travel advisory to Rio, which it has not.

Thanks in advance!

RI
Level Contributor
334 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Too dangerous?

I should have qualified the following statement by saying this is only a guess. I'm sure POINTLOMAN knows better than I:

>There is probably less outcry about Tijuana

>than Rio, because people realize it is mostly

>isolated to drug violence.

The rest of my statement is just addressing statistics and not an opinion.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: Too dangerous?

METROPOLITAN AREA...A central city and smaller surrounding communities.

tijuana...1.6 million

san digeo....2.9 million

rio de janiro... 11.9 million

i stand by my math.

RI
Level Contributor
334 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Too dangerous?

If you use your numbers, then Rio is still not 10 times bigger (11.9/1.6=7.4375).

But yes your numbers would make the 2007 murder rate a little higher in Tijuana.

Either way, I'm not sure I understand the point you're making. Even if Tijuana doesn't get enough media attention, that doesn't take away from the murder rates in other cities. I already acknowledged that there's too much hype about danger in Rio, but it's also wrong to under play it.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
Save Reply
24. Re: Too dangerous?

what has gotten lost here was that i was trying to defend a city i fell in love with. it is the city where i found myself. it is the city where i met my wife. it is a city that has shown me how little i know and a city that has taught me much.

DJ
Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
3,479 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Too dangerous?

Perhaps we should also recognize that we send millions of children to college in the US every year and we never worry about safety.

Then look at what happened in Virginia. We cannot escape fate, we can tempt it, we can try and hide from it, we can take caution against it, but we can never escape it.

Peace.

Rio
Level Contributor
1,500 posts
1 review
Save Reply
26. Re: Too dangerous?

All the discussion of safety and violence in Rio based upon personal anecdotes is essentially meaningless. I am reminded of the parable of the 3 blind men who are asked to describe an elephant. Their answer depended on what part of the beast they each touched.

Likewise, if a visitor has not been a victim he will quickly point out that the reports of crime in Rio are exaggerated. As soon as s/he gets pickpocketed, mugged, or otherwise victimized Rio is a dangerous city. Murder rate statistics are misleading because a disproportionate amount of murder occurs within the favelas and is not truly indicative of the threats that confront the average tourist. The headline in today's newswpaper is about a daylight gun battle that took place between warring drug gangs in a favela near downtown. Apparently the cops busted things up despite the use of sophisticated weapons by the bad guys.

The fact of the matter is that crime and violence is a problem in Rio even for the locals. It is fair to say that reports of street crime, the type of crime that affects tourists, is probably exaggerated and can be minimized by using common sense. Nevertheless, I would venture an educated guess that street crime in Rio is greater than in almost any other major city.

Quite apart from the effect crime and violence has upon tourists, the locals are suffering from a bunker mentality and are demanding that government address the problem. Cabral, the new governor of the state of Rio has implemented a policy that will put federal armed forces at his disposal to patrol the streets of the city and otherwise fight crime. He lives a couple of blocks from me here in Leblon (Leblon is to Rio what the green zone is to Baghdad - at least the governor's proximity should cover MY behind). The citizens believe he is succeeding. They are hopeful he will continue to effectively combat violence especially since he wants to be the next President and a good record on crime fighting would enhance his political aspirations.

Bottom line advice for tourists. Do not be deterred from visiting Rio , but be aware of the street crime problem and use common sense to lessen the probabilities of becoming a statistic.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
Save Reply
27. Re: Too dangerous?

darmanad,

comparing leblon to the green zone in bagdad is the most ignorant statement i have read on this forum. don't even go there until you have experienced bagdad personally, or had indepth discussions with the marines who have been there.

and don't forget the 33 people who were killed at virgina tech.

Rio
Level Contributor
1,500 posts
1 review
Save Reply
28. Re: Too dangerous?

Point, Low Man,

Gee whiz , I was just injecting a bit of comic relief into a serious subject, but now that you assert it was the most ignorant statement you have read on this forum I'm curious to know in what way my comparison of Rio's Leblon to Baghdad's Green Zone is "ignorant"?

Don't even go where? Baghdad? I have no desire to go to Baghdad. I only wish Bush, Cheney and Halliburton hadn't.

I have had no conversations with marines who have been in Baghdad, but I regularly talk to the Naval Attache here in Rio who was a fighter pilot in the Gulf War. A nice guy. What's the point?

p.s. I don't comprehend the reference to the VT killings.

Rio
Level Contributor
1,500 posts
1 review
Save Reply
29. Re: Too dangerous?

I think I should make this a component of the RJ overview link.

All the discussion of safety and violence in Rio based upon personal anecdotes is essentially meaningless. I am reminded of the parable of the 3 blind men who are asked to describe an elephant. Their answer depended on what part of the beast they each touched.

Likewise, if a visitor has not been a victim he will quickly point out that the reports of crime in Rio are exaggerated. As soon as s/he gets pickpocketed, mugged, or otherwise victimized Rio is a dangerous city. Murder rate statistics are misleading because a disproportionate amount of murder occurs within the favelas and is not truly indicative of the threats that confront the average tourist. The headline in today's newswpaper is about a daylight gun battle that took place between warring drug gangs in a favela near downtown. Apparently the cops busted things up despite the use of sophisticated weapons by the bad guys.

The fact of the matter is that crime and violence is a problem in Rio even for the locals. It is fair to say that reports of street crime, the type of crime that affects tourists, is probably exaggerated and can be minimized by using common sense. Nevertheless, I would venture an educated guess that street crime in Rio is greater than in almost any other major city.

Quite apart from the effect crime and violence has upon tourists, the locals are suffering from a bunker mentality and are demanding that government address the problem. Cabral, the new governor of the state of Rio has implemented a policy that will put federal armed forces at his disposal to patrol the streets of the city and otherwise fight crime. He lives a couple of blocks from me here in Leblon (Leblon is to Rio what the green zone is to Baghdad - at least the governor's proximity should cover MY behind). The citizens believe he is succeeding. They are hopeful he will continue to effectively combat violence especially since he wants to be the next President and a good record on crime fighting would enhance his political aspirations.

Bottom line advice for tourists. Do not be deterred from visiting Rio , but be aware of the street crime problem and use common sense to lessen the probabilities of becoming a statistic.

30. Re: Too dangerous?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:19 pm, August 30, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Rio de Janeiro