We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

currency ATM's

Which Rio de Janeiro hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Reno, NV
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
currency ATM's

We are leaving for Rio then Buenos Aires in November. I need to know what ATM's mostly use for recognition (i.e.- "STAR", "PLUS", "CIRRUS" or ???)

I hope to avoid bringing a lot of cash and wish to use the ATM's, or would I be better off just using the old fashion traveler's checks.

Thank you

Houston, TX
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: currency ATM's

I have an ATM card from my American Credit Union. It works for PULSE, Plus and INTERLINK systems. I have been to Rio several times. In general, ATM machines are all over Ipanema and Copacabana. I found that my ATM card worked only at Citibank locations. Furthermore, look for a Citibank ATM machine that is identified as being part of the PULSE, Plus or INTERLINK network. Every Citibank lobby I entered had a line of ATM machines, but usually only 1 or 2 were on the PULSE, INTERLINK network. The remaining ATM machines only provide banking services for the local Citibank branch.

Last January, there were 2 Citibank locations on the main street in Ipanema; about 6 blocks apart. Be advised, you must swipe your ATM card to open the door to the lobby. Also, the ATM machines are not open 24 hours. In particular, the machines close early on Saturdays. The hours are marked on the glass doors to the lobby(if you can understand Portugese). Always be on guard when using the ATM machines. There is a reason armed guards are present in all these lobbies. On a related note, I used my credit card for most transactions at restaurants etc; but you will need cash for incidentals, cab fare etc. .... Lastly, I have heard there are ATM machines at the Rio airport, but I have not seen them. I know these machines are on the INTERLINK network. I hope this helps.

Reno, NV
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: currency ATM's

Thank you Goldie5959. Your info was very helpful in my planning. I have done a lot of traveling but always used traveler's checks but found them inconvienient. Glad that I can be comfortable with ATM's This will be my 1st trip however to S.America Looking forward to it. Do you have any other advise or must see infor.

Sandi

Mississauga...
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: currency ATM's

A friend told me about a hotel in rio d.j. called 'the National' or 'le National' -said he & his wife went there 5 years ago & had 5 * service. I've had no luck trying to find it thru searches & wondered if anyone could give me information on it? He said it was "round' or 'Oval shaped & if you looked out one window you saw the beach, & out the other side you looked out on the mountains.

If anyone can tell me if it's been re-named or has burned down or whatever? If it still exists, I'd like to get contact information for the place. Anybody???

Los Angels, USA
14 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: currency ATM's

Hi, in Rio de Janeiro you can go to a Citibank or HSBC bank. Citibank you will find in Ipanema, Leblon, Copacabana, Barra da Tijuca or Downtown and HSBC is everywhere... in Buenos Aires I'm sure that you will be able to find a Citibank, close to obelisc they have one.

Another good tip is ho hire a local tour guide to show you places around, visit www.rioviptour.com .

I wish you a good trip, best regards.

Luciano.

Reno, NV
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: currency ATM's

Hello All, Just returned from our So. American adventure. ATM's in Rio were a challenge to find in the beach areas. Especially ones that would work. Found that the Bank of Brazil was our best option 3 blocks from our hotel. Crime is bold so must be descreet.

We had more ease in Argentina with Citibank. But overall will probably use Traveler's checks again as going to the bank daily for our cash needs was inconvenient.

Thank you for those that responded to my request.

Get answers to your questions about Rio de Janeiro