We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sao Paulo to Sao Sebastiao

Somerville...
6 posts
Save Topic
Sao Paulo to Sao Sebastiao

Hi,

Wish I had known about this site earlier -- it has been very helpful! We are two ("mature" I think is the word people are using) people coming to Brazil on vacation (a first time visit) in a few weeks. We are starting our trip in Sao Paulo then going on to Sao Sebastiao and Ilhabela for a few nights, and also to Paraty, Ilha Grande and Rio, from where we are flying back to the Boston area in the US. We would be grateful for any advice on getting from Sao Paulo to Sao Sebastiao on December 25. I have looked into taking the Litoranea bus from S.P. Terminal Tiete, which is the most economical option. I would be interested to hear what other's have experienced -- getting to the terminal in SP from the hotel and making the trip by bus. The travel time seems very long -- if I am reading the schedule right it seems to be around a 6 1/2 hour trip, although the guide books indicate a 4 hour bus trip. Are there any other reasonably priced options (pooled van transfer for example) that would involve less time on the road? We are willing to pay a bit more for convenience and less stress, though probably do not want to take on the cost of a private transfer. We also need to get from Sao Sebastiao to Paraty on December 28. Do we need to book bus travel in advance? Is the Util bus the best option for this? Again, any suggestions would be most welcome. Thanks!

Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
593 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sao Paulo to Sao Sebastiao

Unfortunately you do not have many options for going from Sao Paulo to Sao Sebastiao and then on to Paraty. You would have to choose between a private tranfer and/or the busses leaving from Rodoviaria Tiete. The bus as you mentioned will be time consuming besides the taxi /bus to Rodoviaria.

Secondly december 25 is a holiday and it is unpredictable how the roads will be like. Everyone is on vacation and will be wanting to go to the beach also, like you.

One idea is to rent a car with a GPS and drive the Rio_Santos road which is very scenic all the way. You can rent the car in S.Paulo and return it maybe in Angra dos Reis, This way you could drive to S.Sebastiao, Paraty and Angra and from there on take a transfer to Rio.

Somerville...
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sao Paulo to Sao Sebastiao

Thank you, Miriam! Do you know if going by car or private transfer to Sao Sebastiao from SP would be a lot faster than the bus? If we were to go by bus, would it make any difference to leave on the 6:30 am bus, instead of the one that goes later -- I think around 11:30? (The travel time that Litoranea posts on their website for either departure time appears to be the same.) Do you have an estimate of how much time it would take to get to the Tiete bus station at either time? Would you advise taking the metro from our hotel with suitcases or should we do a taxi?

Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
593 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sao Paulo to Sao Sebastiao

The distance fom Sao Paulo to Sao Sebastiao is about 200 km and should be covered by car in about 3 hours. Going down the mountains is somewhat slow and the Marginals usually have so traffic too.

Unfortunately due to the holidays the time will be unpredictable, like I said before. It may take anytime from 3 to 7 hours depending on the day and hour.

However it should be faster by car than by bus.

It is always advisabel to leave early, but this is also theoratically.

if I were you I would take a taxi to Rodoviaria Tiete and not the metro with suitcases and all the belongings. The taxi from Paulista should be about R$40,00 and on a holiday should be 20 minutes to half an hour.

Edited: 11:21 am, November 30, 2012
Somerville...
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sao Paulo to Sao Sebastiao

-- still in process of figuring this out but we will probably opt for going by car.

Thanks again!

Brazil
Destination Expert
for Sao Paulo
Level Contributor
7,952 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sao Paulo to Sao Sebastiao

do you have your hotels booked already? it´s super high season here!

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
6,563 posts
1,246 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sao Paulo to Sao Sebastiao

I´d definetely rent a car.

Despite the risks of taking our terrible roads and dealing with violent drivers by here, it is worth a car trip by that amazing scenic drive known as Rio-Santos, mostly the path between Sáo Sebastião and Itacuruca-RJ, passing by Ubatuba, Paraty, Angra and Mangaratiba, experiencing awesome views and stopping when and wherever you want.

Edited: 8:09 am, December 03, 2012
7. Re: Sao Paulo to Sao Sebastiao

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:16 am, December 17, 2013