We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ilha Grande or Paraty

Which Paraty hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Denver
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Ilha Grande or Paraty

We have 5 days at the end of our honeymoon after a week in Rio and Buzios, and I'm wondering if we should spend all 5 days in Ilha Grande, or if we should split it up and see Paraty too. We're looking for a relaxing romantic atmosphere, and I'm wondering if 5 days is enough to see both places, or should we just relax in one place to avoid too much travelling. Thanks.

Sao Paulo, SP
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Ilha Grande or Paraty

Just Ilha Grande. There´s 105 beaches on the island.

Lagoa Azul, Lagoa Verde, Gruta do Acaiá, Lopes Mendes, Caxadaço, Dois Rios, etc.

ilhagrande.org/sys/gallery.ig…

http://ilhagrande.org/sys/gallery.ig

Maragogi, AL
Destination Expert
for Maragogi, Maceio, Porto de Galinhas, Recife, Japaratinga, Tamandare, Costa dos Corais
Level Contributor
4,777 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ilha Grande or Paraty

I vote for five days in Paraty. Enjoy the colonial city and the sites around it, but if you have the resources to get out onto the wonderful islands, coves and bays that are in front of the city you will have an unforgetable experience. I have spent five day sailing around Ilha Grande and two years ago five days sailing from Paraty. This August I will be back at Paraty because there is still so much to see and to do as well as great food. What I do is a bit pricey, but first class. Google Latitude Charter. They have a 36 ft sloop that would be perfect.

Paraty, Brazil
Level Contributor
20 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ilha Grande or Paraty

Best to do just one location and do it well. I say Paraty. But then i'm biased as this is where i have chosen to live. Ilha Grande is very good but in addition to rainforest and beaches Paraty also has the colonial old town, with more variety for things to do, restaurants and places to stay. If i were you i'd do a couple of nights in the old town and then get out for a night or two in the more remote areas on the Juatinga Peninsular Eco-reserve.

SYD-LON-MUC
Destination Expert
for Honeymoons and Romance, Richmond-upon-Thames, Bondi, Katoomba
Level Contributor
4,135 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ilha Grande or Paraty

The Latitude Charter sounds good.

What sort of price would you be looking at for your 5 day trip? Would they do a 2 day charter?

Just getting ideas of prices. Though we backpack our budget tends to be quite generous. eg. up to £500 per night for accomodation only. So unless the charter is more than £500 per day then this would be a nice way to get around.

I don't want to be contacting them just yet.

Maragogi, AL
Destination Expert
for Maragogi, Maceio, Porto de Galinhas, Recife, Japaratinga, Tamandare, Costa dos Corais
Level Contributor
4,777 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ilha Grande or Paraty

I suggest that you contact them directly through their site. Their manager speaks and writes excellent English. I just returned from five glorious days between Angra and Paraty. I believe they have a three day minimum. But, you'll have to check directly with them. It is worth every penny!!!

Hope it works out. I am going to write up a trip report shortly, but right now I am on my way back home to Maragogi, AL. Another great piece of paradise.

6. Re: Ilha Grande or Paraty

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 26, 2011