We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paraty - tips

Which Paraty hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Coimbra
3 posts
Save Topic
Paraty - tips

We are going to Rio de Janeiro and Paraty (4 or 5 days in Paraty) in August and would be

pleased if anyone could help us on the following questions:

Should we go from Rio to Paraty on a taxi or van transportation or we'd better rent a car?

Where would a 4 adult family should stay? Which Pousada, hotel, appartment, villa?...

Would we need a car during our stay in Paraty or beaches are easily reached without a car?

What beaches would you recommend?

Any further tip you consider important (like restaurants, sights...)!!!!

Thanks in advance for your answers!!!!!

STB

Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
208 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paraty - tips

HI,

We drove Rio/Paraty and had a good trip with no problems in a hire car.We spoke to other people who had travelled there by bus and they said it was an easy trip and had no promlems booking,so it is a matter of choice there I think.There are plenty of pousadas in Paraty both in and outside the town.I think outside would be more peaceful.Beaches in the town are not all that good.You will need transport to get to the beaches at Trinidade which is lovely and I think Praia do Sonho? We really liked the Marguerida Cafe in the old town.A bit more expensive but a good atmosphere with live music.

Rio De Janeiro
Level Contributor
125 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paraty - tips

Hello,

I just love Paraty, I've been there more than 5 times.

I'd recommend you to take a regular bus from Rio to Paraty, I think it's the easiest way to get there. If you stay inside or near the historical center, you won't need a car to go anywhere, except when you go to Trindade beach (a must). But for this, I believe you can arrange with a cab driver locally.

OK, se here are my tips:

1) Where to stay (both b&bs):

Pousada Porto Imperial (former Porto Paraty): http://www.pousadaportoparaty.com.br/ One of the best value for money options. I've stayed there once or twice, everything ok.

Pousada do Sandi: more expensive but really nice: www.pousadadosandi.com.br

Last time we've been there we stayed at a really wonderful b&b outside the city, beside the forest (Mata Atlântica). If you decide to stay there, you'll need a car(it's 20-30 min from the city). There's a river you can bathe there, you get the best from the beach and the forest. It's called Pousada Bromelias (www.pousadabromelias.com.br)

Other good option(but I've never stayed there) are Hotel Coxixo and Pousada Pardieiro

2) Beaches: Aside from Trindade, which is a bit further south, I don't really recommend any beaches that you can reach by car. Trindade is perfect, it has three amazing beaches and places to eat.

3) I would suggest you take two boat tours. One in a "scuna", where you go with around +30 other people. You can buy tickets at your hotel or at one of the many travel agencies around the city. But the best, in my opinion, is to take a "trainera", a small boat, where your family will go alone with the sailor. To book this, the very best option is to go to the Sailor's Union booth at the pier (where all the boat tours depart from, you can't miss it) and arrange all the details there. You book the previous day and depart the next morning. If you have enough money, you can even rent a faster boat (with sailor) and visit some amaizing beaches that are a bit too far for the "traineras".

In both tours they make several stops so you can bathe, see fish, etc.

4) Eating around: in my opinion, that is the hardest part of the trip. Usually the restaurants are more expensive than they should. I'm sorry but I can't really recommend any particular restaurant, since many are so so and none is absolutely the best.

Have a wonderful trip!

Brasilia, DF
Level Contributor
884 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paraty - tips

AHague, great contribution! Hope you'll be able to share more about your rich Brazilian experience. Recently I tried to help a cook traveling to Rio and listed the best restaurants in the state of Rio according to "Guia 4 Rodas". The guide listed one and only one restaurant in Paraty as being outstanding: Le Gite d'Indaiatiba. Have you ever eaten there? Otherwise, I'm pretty sure you're not the first to point out that the Paraty restaurants are really not that good. But does one of those pousadas listed have a particularly good breakfast?

Obrigado!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
38 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paraty - tips

1. How much should it cost "to take a "trainera", a small boat, where your family will go alone with the sailor"? I read in "National Geographic Traveler" (March 2008) that it is possible to hire a small launch. Is it safe? FYI: there will be three of us, and we'd like to go to Praia Grande da Cajaiba (mentioned in the NG Traveler). The article said that it was an hour ride.

2. Is a dinner demonstration at the "Academia de Cozinha & Outros Prazeres" worth it? I could not find the price at their web site (http://www.chefbrazil.com/dinner.html). I wonder whether they charge more if I ask in English...

FYI: we'll be in Paraty at the end of March.

Thanks in advance for help.

Paraty, Brazil
Level Contributor
20 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paraty - tips

Hi,

Best to take a bus from Rio to Paraty, comfortable, safe and cheapest.

Costa Verde bus company from Rio bus station.

www.costaverdetransportes.com.br/linhas.html

Might be a good idea to rent a car for a couple of the days you are in Paraty to visit some of the sights. You can arrange on arrival, thro accomm easiest. Dont need it for all time in Paraty.

Trindade beaches are excellent - accessible by car, tour or bus. Sono and Antigos beaches fantastic - accessible by boat or trail only.

Schooner trip of the bay unmissable. Private hire traineira also excellent as per other posts, great if you want to go to Cajaiba beaches and other places further out.

Kayaking is another option for tropical mangroves, islands and beaches.

If you like walking Mamangua Sugarloaf Peak has fantastic views of the whole region. Also good walking in the rainforest. More at www.paratyexplorer.com who also do a fascinating Rainforest eco-farm trip.

Paraty old town full of very good restaurants. Some a bit pricey. Thai-Brazil excellent, also Caminho d'Ouro (brazilian contemporarty), Casa do Fogo, Margarida Cafe good and lively, and have heard good things about Matriz restaurant as well.

On Jabaquara beach just outside center La Luna is very good.

Hope this helps, Michael

Belgium
Level Contributor
135 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paraty - tips

Hi,

Has anyone already visited the fazenda Murycana in Paraty?

Is it worth a visit and how is the restaurant?

Can you spend a hole day there?

Paraty, Brazil
Level Contributor
20 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paraty - tips

Hi Ericos,

I'm a fan of Murycana. It's a fun and interesting place to visit...the only problem is that it doesnt live up to its full potential. It has a very rich history that isnt well told. That said, it is definitely worth a visit - the old farm house with objects on display, beautiful grounds (behind the restaurant), cachaca distillery and a tree canopy/zipline (not sure if operating still) - but not for a full day. Best to spend part of the day. If you dont rent a car I would recommend the jeep tours that include Murycana and Pedra Branca waterfall. Try www.alcanceparaty.tur.br or www.jeeptours.com.br for more info.

The restaurant is also good - serves mainly traditional, wholesome farmhouse dishes...chicken in a blood sauce, pork with skin, that sort of thing

Most people spend 3 days or so in Paraty but the funny thing is that there is so much to do you can easily spend a week or more.

M

Belgium
Level Contributor
135 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paraty - tips

Hi Michael,

Thanks a lot. I am a touristic guide and want to spend three days in Paraty with the group.

One day to see the historic part of Paraty.

The second day to spend a day on see with a "scuna" visiting some islands.

The thirth day I was intending to spend a day visiting this fazenda and something else in that region.

9. Re: Paraty - tips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:05 pm, October 01, 2009
10. Re: Paraty - tips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:25 am, March 31, 2010