We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Water warm enough

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
26 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Water warm enough

Hi I am coming to Buzios next week Oct 24th. Will the water be warm enough to snorkel in? I have a rashy (light wave surf shirt) but don't want to get in if it's super cold. Also how easy is it to rent snorkel gear?

Thanks Ruby

Mentioned in this post
Buzios Beach Resort
Buzios Beach Resort
541 Reviews
Armacao dos Buzios, RJ
Macaé, Rio de...
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Water warm enough

The water will probably be between 21-24 C. I don't think it is cold and rent snorkel gear will not be any problem at all.

I love Buzios. I live in Macaé about 80 km from Buzios. Me and my wife usually go to Buzios 3-4 times per year. Is it your first time there?

Mentioned in this post
Buzios Beach Resort
Buzios Beach Resort
541 Reviews
Armacao dos Buzios, RJ
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
26 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Water warm enough

Yes and we are super excited! I hope to be able to snorkel but am wondering if we need to drag all our stuff with us. I wish we had more than 2 days there. We are also goingto the The Falls but I am more excited about Buzios

Macaé, Rio de...
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Water warm enough

Yes but you can rent it there, you don't need to drag all that stuff, better to rent it there.

We usually stay at a pousada called Pousada IIlanga near the beach praia de tartaruga, not so expensive, but very charming and then we walk to Rua das pedras in the afternoon and stay on the beach Praia de João Fernandes and spend the evening at some club on rua das pedras.

Enjoy Buzios:)

If you're interested in Brazil I have a blog about Brazil:

http://www.bestbrazilblog.com/

Mentioned in this post
Brazil
Brazil
South America
Level Contributor
151 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Water warm enough

The ambient air temperature is likely to get to 24 or maybe a little more, but the water will be a bit colder. Also, the wind has been out of the East for the past few days, with a prediction (for whatever it is worth) to continue so, shifting to slightly north of east. This pattern tends to push in some colder water to Joao Fernandes. Wave energy is predicted to be coming from the south-southeast, so Joao Fernandes maybe fairly calm and the water clarity should be pretty good. Some people find the water temp a bit brisk, but not really untollerable. Ferrudarinha may be a good alternative. Between Ferradura and Geriba, Ferrudarinha is a small and fairly protected beach that has a south west facing opening. While snorkel equipment is readily available, I always recommend to family that they bring their own mask and snorkel. The mask so that you are sure it fits well and the snorkel because that is going into your mouth. Fins are readily rented and are the largest and bulkiest of the snorkel gear, so I recommend just renting those. If I recall, you stated that you were travelling with at least one person who is elderly, so i would recommend again that you stay in or near the central area as it is the "center" and you will be close to the area of best restaurants/nightlife etc. Ferradurinha is a bit of a walk, but there are vans and taxis. Joao Fernandes can easily be walked to, but once again, based on personal preference, vans and taxis can get you there.

Mentioned in this post
Joao Fernandes Beach
Joao Fernandes Beach
6,230 Reviews
Armacao dos Buzios, RJ
Ferradura Resort
Ferradura Resort
842 Reviews
Armacao dos Buzios, RJ
Geriba Beach
Geriba Beach
6,382 Reviews
Armacao dos Buzios, RJ
Ferradurinha Beach
Ferradurinha Beach
3,721 Reviews
Armacao dos Buzios, RJ
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
6,565 posts
1,247 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Water warm enough

By september, your chances of finding good and pleasant water temperature are great. On summer its more unlikely though the hot weather.

Snorkling is a pretty common activity at many beaches such as Azeda, Joao Fernandes and Ferradura, mainly at their corners. And you will also find some simple equipaments available to rent and enjoy it.

Mentioned in this post
Azeda Boutique Hotel
Azeda Boutique Hotel
574 Reviews
Armacao dos Buzios, RJ
Joao Fernandes Beach
Joao Fernandes Beach
6,230 Reviews
Armacao dos Buzios, RJ
Ferradura Resort
Ferradura Resort
842 Reviews
Armacao dos Buzios, RJ
6. Re: Water warm enough

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:22 am, December 29, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Armacao dos Buzios