We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buzios or Rio First?

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
103 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Buzios or Rio First?

Hi,

We have 19 nights in Brazil and are planning to spend 14 nights in Rio/surrounding area and 5 nights in Buzios and want to know if we should do one before the other i.e Buzios first or Rio first?

We are also considering splitting up the trip i.e 7 nights in Rio, 5 nights Buzios and another 7 nights in Rio (different area).

Any thoughts on whether we should split or not?

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
1,581 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buzios or Rio First?

I'd consider Buzios as Rio/Surrounding Area.

It depends a bit on when you go and what your interests are. If it's all about beach time, then you're ok with 14 days Rio and 5 in Buzios. If you want to see something of the country, i'd split it up a bit and travel some. Nice spots are:

Parati (3 days) (Rio)

Ilha Grande (2 days) (Rio)

Ouro Preto / Tiradentes (4 days)

Parati and Ouro Preto / Tiradentes are historical towns. There is a nice steam train ride between Ouro Preto and Tiradentes. Ilha Grande is a beautifull island.

paraty and Ilha Grande are about 3 hours by bus from Rio, Ouro Preto about 6.

If you visit all, you'll have 6 nights in Rio, which should be enough.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
103 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buzios or Rio First?

Great,thanks for the response.

That gives some ideas as whilst we like the beach, there is only so much you can do and it would be good to break it up a bit.

thanks again.

Friz

Rio
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Buzios or Rio First?

You should absolutely split your vacation, Buzios is one of the best spots to relax.

Due to its peninsula characteristic, Búzios has over 23 beautiful beaches for you to choose from. I personally pick two very glamorous boutique hotels.

The first one would be Casas Brancas (http://www.casasbrancas.com.br ). The pousada is very traditional and family owned for over 35 years, a side from the very well decorated and comfortable rooms, they have a out-of-this world beach view spa and restaurant.

If you are looking for another budget friendly option, I would recommend Abracadabra Pousada (http://www.abracadabrapousada.com.br), which is under the same management as Casas Brancas and located right next to it.

Hope this helped a bit!

New York, NY
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Buzios or Rio First?

Hi Friz,

We just came back from Brazil and split our time between Rio and Buzios. I would strongly suggest that you do Rio first, get tired walking and sightseeing and eating and then head over to Buzios to just chill out. That rounded our vacation off very nicely as all we did in Buzios was tan at the beach, eat amazinglt fresh seafood and drink all day. The beaches at Buzios offer everything you could think of without having to move from your chair! It's difficult to be very active in Rio after that kind of relaxation. Feel free to message me here if you have any questions. I would highly recomment the Cachoeira Inn if you are looking for a place to stay in Buzios. It's affordable and more personalized and luxurious than you can imagine!

Buzios, Brazil
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Buzios or Rio First?

IMO it depends when you are coming. If you are coming during carnaval I would stay in Rio as Búzios will be a zoo. If you are coming before March, try to arrive on a Sunday since most of the traffic will be going the other way.

Faro
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Buzios or Rio First?

Hi,

We would recomend going to Rio first, get tired from walking and sightseeing and then go to Buzios after.

Buzios is great to relax and the nightlife at Rua das Pedras is amazing!!!! Neverending nights!!!

Start your night at Blue Martini and meet the super friendly staff!!!

Best beaches: João Fernandinho, Azedinha and Geribá. There are others also great, but this 3 are my favourite!

Any other questions about Buzios, email me:

rafaelg.a.madeira@googlemail.com

Take care

Rafa

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
103 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buzios or Rio First?

Thanks everyone for your messages.

Its only 6 weeks away now before we go and cant wait!

Any other insider tips on places to eat or drink appreciated.

Kirsti

8. Re: Buzios or Rio First?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, October 13, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Armacao dos Buzios