We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rent a car?! Carneiros beach? What else to do?

Which Porto de Galinhas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
6,563 posts
1,246 reviews
Save Topic
Rent a car?! Carneiros beach? What else to do?

Staying in Porto de Galinhas for the first 3 days of our trip (before Noronha, Olinda and Recife-for a Convention).

1) For these 3 days is it worthwhile to get a car (we should be back to the airport latter to board to Noronha)?

2) Is that a car advised specially if we stay in Muro Alto?

3) Is it really interesting to stay far from Porto de Galinhas village?

4) If you agree about the car, what else to do in the surroundings? We´d like to spend a day by ourselves in Praia de Carneiros... Or is it better to take a tour to that?

Thank you.

Warsaw
Level Contributor
86 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rent a car?! Carneiros beach? What else to do?

Hi Gusdali, we spent a few days in Porto de Galinhas last July and we went there by taxi from Olinda, so I can't say much about car rental.

We were on 2 trips from PG: Carneiros and Calhetas beach, both with travel agency "Brasil tour" (or sth like that). A trip to Carneiros cost us R$ 25 while in our pousada the same trip was worth R$ 70 (lunch included, boat: Cavalo Marinho).

Carneiros is one of the most beautiful beaches I have been to in Brazil. First, we planned to stay a few days in Tamandare, but I read the opinions that there is not much to do, only the beach, so we changed our plans. And it was a good idea as it would be really boring to stay there for more than 1 day, especially that the water seems dirty and no one swims there.

I don't know about going there by car, but if you take a trip, you don't only stay at the beach. They also take you to the natural pools nearby.

Calhetas is another nice beach, but not as beautiful as Carneiros. We took the whole day trip (by van) there, visiting other beaches on our way.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
6,563 posts
1,246 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rent a car?! Carneiros beach? What else to do?

So, Carneiros worth it, Calhetas, probably not?!

In the end, did you take the tour by the agency or by the Pousada?

Just to know:

The one by the Pousada was R$ 70, but it had the lunch and the boat trip included... the other, only R$ 25, but no lunch and no boat included?

Edited: 3:26 pm, February 09, 2012
Warsaw
Level Contributor
86 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rent a car?! Carneiros beach? What else to do?

Carneiros is a must, while Calhetas you may do if you have time.

We took the tour by agency for R$ 25. They have the stand on the promenade. Boat was included, lunch not.

And the people from all trips finally meet at the same beach :)

4. Re: Rent a car?! Carneiros beach? What else to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 3:17 am, February 10, 2012
Salvador
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Rent a car?! Carneiros beach? What else to do?

Calhetas is a lovely little cove, very upscale.

Nearby is Paraiso, gorgeous, recommended but hard to get to.

In PdG, take a jangada ride out to the reef.

In PdG, try to resist buying a spotted chicken souvenir. :-)

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
6,563 posts
1,246 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rent a car?! Carneiros beach? What else to do?

I'll certainly follow your tips, L0ira!

Sailing by Jangada out to the reefs and trying to resist to buy that spotted chicken souvenir!

I'll research a bit more about Calhetas and Paraiso as well.

Thank you so much!

7. Re: Rent a car?! Carneiros beach? What else to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, June 12, 2013