We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which currency?

Which Foz do Iguacu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
111 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Which currency?

Could anyone please tell me can you use US dollars in Sth America, I had been told they are more welcomed than the local currency.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
839 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which currency?

In general terms, American dollars are accepted almost everywhere in the main tourist areas of South America.

In Argentina, may hotels, shops and restaurants accept them. However, check the day-to-day exchange rate, because many shops take dollars at a lower rate. It's always better to have some local notes, just to pay the basics, such as taxis and all that.

In Brazil, USD dollars are usually accepted everywhere, too.

London, United...
Level Contributor
111 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which currency?

Thanks you Brasu-I am going to Santiago, Lima, BA and Rio so I should be OK with a few local currency which I can get in the hotels

in each place and $US for the rest.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,360 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which currency?

"In Brazil, USD dollars are usually accepted everywhere, too." Well, having been around Brasil a bit, I don't think that is universally true. Certainly US dollars will be accepted at major hotels, and many tourist friendly locations, but my experience has been that for local taxi's, public transport, admission into many tourist destinations, local stores and markets, and local hotels, US$ are not universally accepted nor convertible. And US$ traveller's cheques are essentially useless (not convertible/cashable) outside of major tourist hotels, ForEx changers (even in Rio) or at most banks unless you go to the main branch in regional financial centres.

London, United...
Level Contributor
111 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which currency?

OK so major difference of opinion here!!!! (Now I've got my US$)

and I am totally confused, do I use a CC in major hotels and change the rest into the local currency for each place I am visiting?

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,389 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which currency?

Use credit cards(Visa,Amex,ATM) whenever possible.

Don't use Traveler Cheques.If Amex, they can be cashed without a fee at Amex office only.

Carry US dollars and use them when you are getting a good deal on a purchase.

Carry local currency for buses,taxis,small cafes,etc

I think that summarizes the two previous posts.

Cheers!!!

+ATM's give the best rate of exchange unless of course your bank is charging you exhorbitant rates, because usually the local ATM's(Argentina) do not charge a fee with the transaction.(It's ATM heaven)

London, United...
Level Contributor
111 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which currency?

Thanks Ricardo that is perfectly clear and of great help.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
839 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which currency?

When I said USD dollars were accepted everywhere in Brazil, I meant in the main tourist areas, like I had said about Argentina. I just didn't want to repeat everything I had previously written, but well... I'm sorry for the mistake.

Of course you won't find many people who would like to get paid in dollars in remote areas. And as I had also said before, it's better to have some local notes and coins for the basics.

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,389 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which currency?

Brasu is absolutely correct. If I was traveling from the Argentine side of the Iguazu falls to Brazil for the day, I would not change any currency into Reales. It's not necessary. However, when I visit my Argentine family who live in the country in Santa Fe, I have plenty of pesos on me.

In Buenos Aires, they take the dollars at the Disco supermarket, but I still use pesos.

London, United...
Level Contributor
111 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which currency?

Thanks Brasu I won't be visiting anywhere remote so I appreciate your help and I will get a small amount of local currency as you both suggest. Do you know if the falls are looking good, I've got 4 weeks left before I come.

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,676 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which currency?

I don't know where this talk about US dollars is coming from!

I spent two weeks in Brazil and Argentina. In both, prices are posted everywhere in the Brazilian Real and Argentine Pesos (respectively).

Like most any place, the big tourist hotels and will always take your Yankee dollars in a pinch. The catch is that they will clip you badly on the exchange. Why go to the trouble, just to lose money!

Get local cash from the banking machine. Or better, use your credit cards to ensure the best exchange rates.

By the way, we did find one place where the US dollars was always welcome: Paraguay, where the current rate is about 6,000 Paraguayan Guaranis to the buck!

Hapopy travels, and let me know if I can help further!

David

capetien10@gmail.com

Get answers to your questions about Foz do Iguacu