We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How safe is Foz de Iguacu and which accommocation to take

Maribor, Slovenia
Level Contributor
669 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
How safe is Foz de Iguacu and which accommocation to take

Could you tell me how safe is Foz de Iguacu and how is situation with Dengue in April (from 15th of April). Which taxi to take from airport to hotel? Could you advice me a safe accommodation (budget to mid budget). Is there any entrance fee for Brazilian and Argentinian side of the the Falls. Is 1 full day enough for visiting both side. Thank you Ales

M W
Foz do Iguacu, PR
Destination Expert
for Foz do Iguacu
Level Contributor
5,017 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How safe is Foz de Iguacu and which accommocation to take

Ales,

Foz Do Iguacu is like many cities world wide as to mosquitos and dengue fever. Dengue is the lesser of the fevers and a good repellent goes a long way. Foz as well as other Brazilian cities have an agency which sprays and educates resident as to standing water and other items which attract the pests. Ask your doctor what to do if symptoms occur and you can find over the counter pain relievers everywhere in a farmacia.

But again a good repellent will work. Last year (and this year) the XGames were held just outside the airport in April and we had no issues with the mosquitos. (I had more in my garden than at the games.)

There is no mandatory yellow fever shots required for Foz area, but again discuss this with your doctor.

You will find the prices of lodging is less the farther away ( like downtown ) you go away from the main highway which goes to the falls and the airport. There are a few 2 star hotels also on the highway near the resorts.

As to safety unless you are near with Paraguay boarder at night ( nothing really to do in this area anyway) Foz is a safe area. It has the Federal, military, civil and local policias stationed in the area. Foz is not like the larger cities, but always know where you are and stay alert as you would anywhere you would travel. (No travel warnings have been posted by any embassy for Foz, but check your Embassy's wed site for travel alerts)

TA has many of the hotels listed and many reviews from those who stayed...Check them and if you have a question, let me know.

Yes there are entry fees into both national parks.

There are many taxis at the airport, SindTaxi is one of the larger companies.

Many ask if 1 day is enough to see both sides (AR & BR). It is possible to see both sides in a full day. It all depends on the boarder crossing into AR. With the recp tax on US, AU And Canadian passport holders it take a little time to enter. Brazil boarder is closed except for a random stop you have no stop there presently. The parks open around 9 and close at 5 depending on the season and daylight. So you can see the BR side dry out in the taxi going to AR and see this side in the afternoon. It all comes down to the pace you want to have while traveling. If you want to be on the go, as I said you can see both sides. Coming all this way it is good to see both. If you plan on a boat ride or helicopter ride you will be pressed for time.

Hope this helps. Any special question, let me know. Enjoy our little "wonder of the world" and have a great trip.

Willemstad, Curacao
Level Contributor
2,381 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How safe is Foz de Iguacu and which accommocation to take

Best Western in Foz is a good hotel in the center.. they also offer drivers to Brazil and argentina falls.

1 day is a bit too short.. minimum is 1.5 days more or less. half day for brazil side. 1 day for argentina. you travel all around the world to get there and stay one day?? take the chopper and boat tour!

Foz is pretty save itself..

3. Re: How safe is Foz de Iguacu and which accommocation to take

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:35 am, January 28, 2014
4. Re: How safe is Foz de Iguacu and which accommocation to take

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 30, 2015