We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Foz Do Iguacu during World Cup 2014

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,176 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Foz Do Iguacu during World Cup 2014

Hi TA,

I am thrilled to be throwing Foz do Iguacu into my itinerary during world cup, I have about two weeks between games in Recife and heading to Rio for the final, we will be getting there by bus from Florianopolis, and have a few of the usual questions:

1. How much time here? The other time in the 2 weeks will be split with Florianopolis.

2. How would you rate the overnight bus to Foz and how long does it take? We are on a tight budget, but can splurge when needed.

3. The falls obviously, any other recommended activity?

4. Good hostel to stay in? 4 guys from mid twenties to mid thirties, 3/4 of us speak Spanish, well traveled.

5. Crossing into Argentina for a day? Recommended or not? How has everyone done with the Visa situation for Americans?

6. And how about Paraguay? I haven't really read anything about doing a day trip to there.

7. Other advice or need to knows?

This is the very beginning of this portion of the trip, and while I know I can Google this and go to the book store tripadvisor has ALWAYS been a better and more up to date source for every country I have been to. Thanks as always to anyone who replies!

Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
44 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Foz Do Iguacu during World Cup 2014

Hi , how are you doing? Here are some answers:

1 - two days , maybe three. Four at max.

2 - Sorry , dont know. Took the plane.

3 - It depends on what you like to do .You can get to know Itaipu dam . Inside the Iguassu falls park , there are trails , boats , rapel , rafting and other activities.

4 - cant suggest a hostel , I´ve stayed at a hotel ... but consider staying at argentinian side . Puerto Iguazu is smaller than Foz do Iguaçu, cheaper , and I believe there are more hostels and low budget hotels. Wine is a lot better too.

5 - I´m brazilian , not sure how VISA works for americans... but if you can , try to know brazilian and argentinian sides.

6 - I dont think you should use a day to know paraguai.

Argentinian is know for producing amazing wines and meat. These are a lot cheaper at argentinian side. Fozdo Iguaçu is a more violent city than Puerto iguazu.

Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
5,381 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Foz Do Iguacu during World Cup 2014

here is the bus schedule:

buscaonibus.com.br/en/…

USA citizens need to pay a US$160 reciprocity fee to enter Argentina, even if it is just crossing the border to see the other side of the Falls... it has to be paid online in advance and you have to show the receipt at the border.

see the Argentina forum for more details.

i agree with #1 about going into Paraguayan border town (Ciudad del Este)... brazilians do it for tax free shopping and that is it... and I think there may now be a fee for USA citizens to enter Paraguay too (but not sure):

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g298437-i11825-Ciu…

take a look also at the forums for the Arg side of the falls:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g312804-i6882-Igua…

Willemstad, Curacao
Level Contributor
2,304 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Foz Do Iguacu during World Cup 2014

i would advice you to book take the airplane which will safe you a lot of time.. Ticket costs can be cheap depending on when you book! Book in time as probably more tourists would like to visit Iguazu.

Argentina side is a must! its a lot bigger and has a few trails.. you will also have great views! and you get real close to where the water falls down. as US citizen you will need a visa.

Brazil side is smaller.. Depending if you also like to do a chopper flight or take a boat trip 2 days should be fine.. Paraguay is not much to do besides shopping..

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,176 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Foz Do Iguacu during World Cup 2014

What about the Jesuit Ruins in Paraguay?

And thanks so far to everyone that has replied!

Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
5,381 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Foz Do Iguacu during World Cup 2014

i dont think many tourists in Foz do Iguaçu go to the missions in Paraguay... see if this thread helps (and also try the spanish-language version):

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g298438-i11782-Enc…

M W
Foz do Iguacu, PR
Destination Expert
for Foz do Iguacu
Level Contributor
4,764 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Foz Do Iguacu during World Cup 2014

Ola,

I am uncertain as to you leaving from Florianopolis? If so it will take a minimum of 12 hrs by bus. ( depending on traffic to and in Curitiba) and traffic on 277 from Curitiba.

If from Rio or Recife it will take a minimum of 18 hrs if you are lucky.

I take exception as to my brother in Salvador as to the crime in Foz. You will fine many comfortable Hostels in Foz and even inexpensive hotels. Paying $160 RT fee for one day is up to all of you.

I responded to your tour in PY post. Day tour may be a stretch, but as I stated, there are TA sites as to PY.

Now as to the transportation. Trying to book flights during your WC time is now becoming very difficult. Everyone fly's in Brazil due to the difficulty in driving times and roads in Brazil. The price of tickets have doubled and we are no even in 2014.

I recommend seeing the 7th wonder of the world here in Foz, you will be amazed.

Stay safe the WC will bring out the worst in man and the need to watch your surroundings

Enjoy my city.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
128 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Foz Do Iguacu during World Cup 2014

Hi everyone,

Before the WC, what would have been an average price for a flight from GIG to IGU return?

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,176 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Foz Do Iguacu during World Cup 2014

Thanks olescrapiron! May do the 12 hour bus, may just fly, its still up in the air so to speak. I happened to be in LA so got a Visa for Paraguay and may do that day trip or just check out Ciudad de Este.

M W
Foz do Iguacu, PR
Destination Expert
for Foz do Iguacu
Level Contributor
4,764 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Foz Do Iguacu during World Cup 2014

You are all set then. Please take note that the Brazilian Gov. and the Airlines are "lifting there legs on each other..".. Many complaints as to air prices increasing already. Gov said they may allow foreign airline to operate domestic routes to increase competition (this change in regulations before June is unlikely, but check air fares as soon as you can.)

June is winter here so the drive time in the mountains may take a little longer. Curitiba is at a higher elevation and can get cold and wet roads.

PY is one shop after another in the centro area.

Enjoy,

Marty

M W
Foz do Iguacu, PR
Destination Expert
for Foz do Iguacu
Level Contributor
4,764 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Foz Do Iguacu during World Cup 2014

Flights RT from GIG to IGU were around $159. RT. Now the 5PM direct is running $210 plus tax and fees. The mid day flights are $250 and more.