We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 day visit to the falls, best way to do it?

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
3,535 posts
107 reviews
Save Topic
1 day visit to the falls, best way to do it?

We only have one full day at the falls, arriving late afternoon on Monday and staying at the Mabu Foz Thermas. I'd rather not take an organized bus trip if at all possible.

So what is the best way to get from our hotel to the Falls? Is there a bus or should we just take a taxi?

Once at the Falls, is it possible to see both the Brazilian and Argentinian sides on the same day? I have two guide books and neither one gives a good 1 day overview tour, can anyone point me to something like that? Or should I just suck it up and do an organized tour?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,360 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 day visit to the falls, best way to do it?

I think opinions will vary from traveller to traveller but here is mine.

Given you have only "one day" you can see both sides at the same day, however, you will need to be watching your time carefully and be well organized; you will also be skipping out on other attractions.

Of real importance is just how much time you have; you do not state whether you are arriving late on Monday and leaving late on Tuesday or leaving Wednesday.

Unfortunately, as the falls "close" before sunset, you will likely find that you have not much to do on Monday night other than getting settled into your hotel and perhaps checking out Foz at night. The Itapu Dam night tour (info. as of Dec. 2005) is only open Fridays and Saturdays.

See this thread for further information and a further informative (I hope) link.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g303444-i4551-k506…

If you are comfortable in renting a car, given your short stay I would suggest it might be the best way to maximize your time.

Taxis are readily available but I expect paying a driver for the day would not be cheaper than renting a car. You will find that crossing the border into Argentina with a rental car will not be a problem if you are an American citizen so long as you are only going to the Argentinian Falls. You should confirm at your car rental agency in advance of your arrival to be certain nothing has changed.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
3,535 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 day visit to the falls, best way to do it?

Sorry, I meant to post that we were arriving Monday afternoon and leaving Wednesday morning so we will have the full day on Tuesday to explore.

Is it not possible to get between the Brazil and Argentina sides via some sort of public bus? Or on foot? I guess I was thinking it was about the same scenario as Niagara Falls where you could theoretically walk between the US and Canadian sides (although we did drive between the two).

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,360 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 day visit to the falls, best way to do it?

The bridge to Argentina is about 9km from the entrance to the Parque Nacional (Brasil-side Iguacu Falls)--a long walk. Did you read the link at:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g303444-i4551-k378…

Here is another helpful link to the Argentinean park, Parque Nacional Iguazú:

http://www.iguazuargentina.com/

The nearest city to the Parque Nacional Iguazú is Puerto Iguazú, Argentina, which is located 17 kilometers from the Park.

I have no knowledge of any bus which runs between the two parks. Other posters may know better. Or, try going to the official website above for Argentina, click the Brit flag for English, and click "Contact Us" and send an email to the park.

My experience is the Argentineans reply to enquiries fairly quickly. They should be able to answer your border question and bus questions.

Or you could see what tours bus packages are available.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
3,535 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 day visit to the falls, best way to do it?

I never did find a convenient way to do both sides in one day via public transport so we split the difference, visited the Brazilian side via public bus and then took a taxi from our hotel to get the the Argentine side.

I'd highly encourage anyone else reading this to give themselves at least 2 full days to explore the falls, 1 day was not enough. The Argentine side alone could take an entire day, the Brazilian side can be done in a 1/2 day but we were rushed and I would have liked to spend more time there.

Thanks again for your help!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,360 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 day visit to the falls, best way to do it?

Nice to hear the end result of your attempt at "lightning" tourism. I agree that one day really isn't enough to see both sides, and though many sources I'd consulted in advance suggested two was plenty, I found two barely enough to do all I wanted to do on the Brazilian side. The real challenge I found was in the timing since so many attractions have somewhat limited hours (either closing relatively early or not opening on certain days). Planning ahead counts for a lot in Iguacu.

In retrospect, I would have reserved three full days for Iguacu. But who knows, when I go back, I may decide that one additional full day in Argentina still isn't enough.

Get answers to your questions about Foz do Iguacu