We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Argentina visa for one-day visit to Iguacu Falls?

Which Foz do Iguacu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
40 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Need Argentina visa for one-day visit to Iguacu Falls?

My wife is from a country that needs a visa to enter

Argentina; I wonder whether she still needs a visa for a one-day visit to the Argentinian side of Iguacu Falls, crossing from Brazil.

Sao Paulo,Brazil
Level Contributor
1,903 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Argentina visa for one-day visit to Iguacu Falls?

Most likely she won't, but be prepared for she not being allowed to enter Argentina.

At this border things usually goes easy, but all the laws apply so they have the right to demand a visa.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
40 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Argentina visa for one-day visit to Iguacu Falls?

I see, the thing is there's no Argentinian consulate here in Singapore where she can apply.

I do notice that there's an Argentinian consulate in Foz do Iguacu; can a visa be obtained there? If it can, can it be obtained within the same day, or at most, the next day?

Many thanks in advance for the information.

Sao Paulo,Brazil
Level Contributor
1,903 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Argentina visa for one-day visit to Iguacu Falls?

"can a visa be obtained there? If it can, can it be obtained within the same day, or at most, the next day?"

I wouldn't know, may be others can answer you, but what I know is that if you take an organized tour the chances your wife will be bothered for a visa is less than 0.000001%

Sao Paulo,Brazil
Level Contributor
1,903 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need Argentina visa for one-day visit to Iguacu Falls?

I'm talkin about the sightseeing kind of tour, where they pick you up tour you around the falls and take you back to your hotel.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
40 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need Argentina visa for one-day visit to Iguacu Falls?

Thank you very much for your reassuring info paulista1950, yes we are actually planning to take a sightseeing tour to visit the Argentinian side.

The person arranging the tour I contacted already informed me that we just had to bring our passport to pass, though I felt I still needed a second opinion just in case she was refused entry, hence the question to this forum.

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,648 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need Argentina visa for one-day visit to Iguacu Falls?

Singapore,

We visited Iguasu Falls in 2006, driving through Brazil. We crossed over to both Paraguay and Argentina.

For each country, the respective border patrol checks passports in both directions. The Brazilian authorities seemed more thorough, especially re-entering from Paraguay, but we found absolutely no trouble.

Being from Canada, I did not need a visa for Argentina or Paraguay. We Canadians DO require a visa for Brazil, which we had to obtain before leaving Canada. Re-entering Brazil from Argentina and Paraguay at Foz do Iguaçu on this visa was absolutely no trouble.

Even if you can't go across to Argentina or Paraguay, Iguasu Falls is magnificent. We regarded it as the high point of our trip, more so even than Rio. Don't miss it!

Happy travels, and let me know if I can help further!

David

capetien10@gmail.com

New York
Level Contributor
18 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need Argentina visa for one-day visit to Iguacu Falls?

I am from the US and took the bus to Porto Iguazu in Argentina for a couple hours just to get stamped. As a US citizen I needed a visa for Brazil, but not for Argentina so crossing over to the Argentina side was not a problem. I saw a lot of European tourists doing this, as well as a Japanese guy, so I am assuming Singapore isn't a problem going from Brazil to Argentina but I would double check with your wife's consulate to make sure before you try it - even though it is just one day she probably still needs a visa. Worst case they might reject you at the border and you wait 20 minutes for the bus to come back.

Paraguay requires a visa for most countries outside S. America, so I didn't try to go to Ciudade del Este. I hear the visa can be obtained in 24 hours but it is expensive.

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,648 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need Argentina visa for one-day visit to Iguacu Falls?

I don't think Johnny is correct about Paraguay, by the way, unless there is some very, very new requirement.

We're Canadians, and we went across to Cidade de Leste, Paraguay for a couple of hours. We got no hassles crossing Amizade bridge into Paraguay. Coming back, although there was a long customs line on the bridge and we were subjected to an examination from the Brazilian border patrol, visas were not an issue. The Brazilian visa we had to obtain before leaving Canada worked for re-entry both from Paraguay and from Puerto Iguazu, Argentina.

David

9. Re: Need Argentina visa for one-day visit to Iguacu Falls?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 pm, September 24, 2009