We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Border requirements Brazilians

Sydney
Level Contributor
94 posts
100 reviews
Save Topic
Border requirements Brazilians

Do Brazilians need their passports or only id cards if they want to travel from Foz to the Argentine side of falls. Many years ago did not accept their id cards. Pls advise. Thanks Mark

5 replies to this topic
Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
25,539 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Border requirements Brazilians

Because Argentina and Brazil are Mercosul member states, a national or state-issued Brazilian identity card is enough for entry into Argentina. The identity card must be in good condition, must not have expired, and the holder must be clearly recognizable in the photograph.

M W
Foz do Iguacu, PR
Destination Expert
for Foz do Iguacu
Level Contributor
6,449 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Border requirements Brazilians

As Monte said just you Brazilian ID. May need your CPF if you buy something expensive, but normally not checked when re-entering from AR.

There are random check points around the border and the highway into Foz. Just hit or miss on these.

Sydney
Level Contributor
94 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Border requirements Brazilians

Thank you both - thought this was the case but when myself and my now wife went there in 2001 (just after 9/11) she needed passport - id card was not accepted. Thought it was better to check.

Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
6,875 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Border requirements Brazilians

the "good condition" clause for IDs is not clearly defined... and Brazilian IDs dont have an official expiration date listed on them (unlike passports)...

,,, but the definition in travel sector (and other areas) is often that it must meet two conditions:

1. pic must clearly resemble person nowadays to provide an easy recognition (i.e., that ID one got when they were 17 and now they are in their mid 50s...)

2. airlines often apply a 10-year rule when checking for IDs to board flights to neighboring countries that dont require passports; i.e., they may reject IDs issued more than years ago.

as M W mentioned, it is hit and miss... and subject to the above "interpretations" by specific officers of what good state means...

[I once had my Brazilian ID rejected (for other purposes) as it was more than 10 years old... so now I get a new one every 10 years...]

Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
6,875 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Border requirements Brazilians

in addition...

... make sure that it is an actual ID issued by one of the 26 states or the Federal District (usually referred to as "Carteira de Identidade" or "RG" in Brazil)...

... and not other IDs which can be used for boarding domestic flights and other situations, but not for border crossings or intl flights to neighboring countries... examples of these domestic-use only IDs are driver's license (CNH) and IDs issued by professional boards (OAB, CRM, CRO, CREA etc)

[while there are plans for a nationwide ID system for Brazilian citizens, they have not been implemented to date and IDs are still issued by individual states... Brazilian embassies/consulates abroad can NOT issue these ID cards]

Reply to: Border requirements Brazilians
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted