We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency in Curitiba (and Brasil)

Madison, Wisconsin...
9 posts
Save Topic
Currency in Curitiba (and Brasil)

Hello,

I am very excited - I will be arriving Sunday from the US and staying for two weeks in Curitiba! I would like to know what the recommendations for currency are. I've read that Br Real should be used everywhere, but would just like to confirm. Some more detailed questions:

1. Is it better to withdraw from ATM or exchange money? My US bank quoted me $5 ATM fee and 3% foreign transaction fee. But they also only offered me a 2:1 $R:USD rate, much lower than official 2.2:1 rate. I did not like either of those options so I'm taking some cash with me and hoping to charge the rest on credit card.

2. How often do restaurants, bars, more official establishments take credit card? I have Visa and AMEX. I assume marketplace, street vendors, etc. will only take cash.

3. How much money should I exchange in Sao Paulo airport before arriving at my hotel in Curitiba? This would be to cover transportation fees, meals, and incidentals.

4. Where is the best place in Curitiba to exchange currency considering rates and safety? I'm okay with getting the best grey market exchange rate as long as it's safe.

5. Is it ever more advantageous to pay in USD anywhere? For example, in some places in Mexico and Argentina, local vendors offer discounts in return for paying in dollars.

6. Optional - Are these good guidelines for the rest of Brasil? I'm visiting Sao Paulo, Florianopolis, Rio, and Iguazu.

Thanks much in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Curitiba
Curitiba
State of Parana
Sao Paulo
Sao Paulo
State of Sao Paulo
Florianopolis
Florianopolis
State of Santa Catarina
Coco Bambu Curitiba
$$ - $$$, Mediterranean, Brazilian, Seafood
Old West Restaurant
$$ - $$$, American, Mexican, International
Curitiba, PR
Level Contributor
109 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Currency in Curitiba (and Brasil)

Hello!

1 - The ATM its only better when you withdraw a big amount of cash because of the fees. The rate your bank offered (R$2,00 = USD1,00 ) it would be good only if you need to buy USD. Today, here you can get R$2,20 per dolar you exchange but if you buy 1 dolar here you have to pay R$2,35. Bring an amount of USD and exchange it here.

2 - Credit and debit cards are accepted everywhere. I would say 99% of the establishments, even the small ones. Cash only its accepted in some places like parking lots, a few gas stations, some taxis and small street vendors.

3 - Do not exchange all your money at the airport. The rates are not the best ones. I would change for example $100,00 to have some Real in my pocket and the rest you should change at Curitiba.

4 - The best places are the "Casas de Câmbio" (Exchange). Normally every big shopping mall has one. Its the safest place to change your Money.

5 - You can´t pay anything here with USD, no one accepts it. Only BRL (Real). Use an international credit card or Reais to pay your bills.

6 - Yes. Some places where we have more foreigners like Rio or Iguaçu Falls, USD can be accepted by some vendors but there is no advantage like in Argentina. They will probably give you a lower rate than the official.

Have fun!

Mentioned in this post
Curitiba
Curitiba
State of Parana
Madison, Wisconsin...
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Currency in Curitiba (and Brasil)

Thank you for the advice!

I will make sure to bring cash to exchange.

Brazil
Destination Expert
for Curitiba, New York City
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Currency in Curitiba (and Brasil)

HI,

I fully endorse what Turista said. I only want to mention that the most accepted cards in Brazil are Visa and Mastercard. Again that old story "... all the eggs in one basket". Take also some cash (Brazilian currency) besides your credit card. Finally, I used to use the Visa Travel Money for my trips abroad - now that the taxes are staggering I quit using it. Perhaps, dependin on taxes, it is an option for you.

…visa.com/personal/…travel-money.jsp

Welcome to Curitiba!

Mentioned in this post
Brazil
Brazil
South America
Curitiba
Curitiba
State of Parana
4. Re: Currency in Curitiba (and Brasil)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, June 12, 2015