We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

World Cup 2014 in Curitibia

Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
World Cup 2014 in Curitibia

Hi,

Two friends and I will be attending the World Cup next summer and for part of our trip we will be staying in Curitibia. We are yet to have booked our accommodation in the city yet.

I was wondering where would be the best location to stay in? I'm looking for a place that is close to the places with the best atmosphere? Do you believe this would be near the fanfest zone - Parque Barigui? Or another part of the City? Also which parts of the city should I be looking to avoid?

Thanks

Florianopolis, SC
Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: World Cup 2014 in Curitibia

Next summer is next winter in Curitiba. It can be pretty cold some nights, bring coats!

Curitiba, PR
Level Contributor
109 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: World Cup 2014 in Curitibia

Look for hotels near the stadium. Neighborhoods like Batel and Água Verde would be better, but you can find good places in downtown área like Centro Cívico. Parque Barigui is far away from the stadium, there is not too many options to stay. Also, it will be winter and Curitiba's weather its not good. It rains a lot and its cold and windy. Avoid places in the International Airport area because its very far from downtown.

Brazil
Destination Expert
for Curitiba, New York City
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: World Cup 2014 in Curitibia

Hi,

If you'd like some more specific suggestions tell me your budget. However the best location is the district Batel, which is within a walking distance to Arena da Baixada (the stadium).

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
370 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: World Cup 2014 in Curitibia

I'm in the same boat as the original poster -- very interested in visiting Curitiba, looks like a very interesting city and a bit different venue than the climates in the Northeast that will host matches (Fortaleza, Natal, etc).

It also seems like hotel rates in Curitiba are more reasonable than just about any other host city, but still outrageous by normal standards. Based upon the recommendations in district Batel, does anyone know the quality of the following hotels?

(From MATCH site - hotels.fifa.com)

Harbor Batel - R$400/night

Slaveiro Executive Curitiba - R$600/night

From Kayak.com

Hotel e Flat Valentini Di Lucca - R$410/night for 3 adults

It looks like hotels in the Centro area are 25-30% less expensive than in Batel. Is there just less to do in that area? Is it unsafe at certain hours or more of a business district with less to do after hours?

Brazil
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: World Cup 2014 in Curitibia

Hi,

So as not to leave you unanswered it is true the hotels in the Centro are less expensive than in Batel, but even so you can get good hotel deals in Batel. Concerning safety, a big city like Curitiba, at least for Brazilian standards, parts of downtown are safety enough for a tourist.

As I am backing from holiday today I didn't have time to prepare compilation of the best hotels deals for the World Cup.

Madison, Wisconsin...
9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: World Cup 2014 in Curitibia

I'm also looking for lodging - I have tickets for the group stage matches in Curitiba. How is the couch-surfing/hostel atmosphere in Curitiba? I have no problems trekking around and taking in the local culture, while saving lots of $$ at the same time.

Brazil
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: World Cup 2014 in Curitibia

Hi UB,

Actually I've never heard about couch-surfing in Curitiba - it doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. Concerning hostel atmosphere in Curitiba, it seems to be great, based on the reviews that I read, as I am a local I've never stayed in one myself. They say that Motter Hostel is the best. Besides that I can say that the location is a must as it is quite close to my apartment. Here follows the link:

http://www.motterhome.com.br/

São Paulo, Brazil
Level Contributor
836 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: World Cup 2014 in Curitibia

When I come to Curitiba I always stay at the Itamaraty Hotel (formerly Jaraguá), across the road from bus station, easy bus connection to airport. Ten minutes to downtown by Biarticulated Bus (the longest buses in the world, 28 metres long). Also across the road is the train station from where you can get the spectacular tourist train to Morretes. Estação Shopping 5 minutes away by Biarticulated Bus.

I am sure it will be a lot cheaper too. I think we paid R$ 150 a night (USD 70) for a double room.

Brazil
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: World Cup 2014 in Curitibia

Paul,

It is true that you can get good deals near the Bus Station, but it also must be take into consideration that the area near this station stretching till Estação Shopping is rather dangerous, specially at night, and even worse in the square in front of Estação Shopping.

You can get further good deals in other parts of the town, for example Hotel Brasilia:

http://www.hotelbrasiliacuritiba.com.br/

Good luck!

Curitiba, PR
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: World Cup 2014 in Curitibia

Hello, look for accommodation in the following neighborhoods: Batel, Algua Green, center, or even Champagnat St. Ignatius all lie near the Barigüi Park (rich cultural and Area of ​​Curitiba) and are close to the "Arena da Baixada" stadium. Place to avoid: Stay in Pinhais, reasons: Far and region with a higher chance of hazards for safety.

I wish good trip.