We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ouro Preto

Which Ouro Preto hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Topic
Ouro Preto

I need an information about bus ride from Ouro Preto to Rio. I would like to leave Ouro in the morning and travel in day light instead night trip.Are buses leave Ouro only in the night ?

I tried Bus Web Site ( could not navigate).

Trip woul take place in January.

Anyone can give any advise ?

Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Ouro Preto

Which bus site did you try?

This page gives instructions on how to use the ANTT (main Brazilian) bus site and a link to it. It usually is a great resource.

http://www.backpackingbrazil.com/?q=node/47

But I also just seem to see the bus company Uniao (and no other) on this route, and the departures for all classes of service appear to be at night.

Viacao Cometa (and Uniao too) seems to have frequent service, including during the day, from Belo Horizonte, which you can reach by frequently running bus from Ouro Preto (2 hours), to Rio.

Happy travels.

San Diego
Level Contributor
165 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ouro Preto

This thread seems to address my question also.

After visiting Paraty and Rio, my husband and I would like to visit both Ouro Preto and Belo Horizonte. We only have 3 1/2 days for this part of our trip. I was thinking about flying to Belo Horizonte, spending 1 1/2 days and one night there and then taking the bus to Ouro Preto where we would spend 2 nights and have 2 half days and one full day to explore.

Is it a 2 hour bus ride from Belo Horizonte to Ouro Preto? What are our options to get back to Sao Paulo from Ouro Preto for our international flight home? Would we be better to go to Ouro Preto first and then back to Belo Horizonte so we can fly back to Sao Paulo from there?

Thanks for your advise.

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,670 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ouro Preto

Hi TC!

We traveled in the opposite direction, from Rio to Ouro Preto, overnighting in Petropolis.

We found the driving long and slow over this stretch in Rio de Janeiro and Minas Gerais states. The road, althoug paved, was winding and grinding, with no chance to pick up any speed.

As well, visibility was limited in the afternoons by fog and showers. We traveled in November, but both November and January are the rainy season in this part of Brazil, so you too may hit our weather.

Anticipate a long bus ride, longer than might otherwise be expected from the distance as the crow flies.

David

capetien10@gmail.com

Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Ouro Preto

Yes, it is about a 2 hour bus ride from B.H. to Ouro Preto. Visit Mariana and the gold mine too, as long as you're spending all that time in the area.

You’d be best off flying from B.H. to S.P., rather than wasting time on a bus.

What were you planning to do in B.H. for 1 ½ days? I spend a lot of time there because I have friends who live there, and while I find it a pleasant place to be because of time spent with them, it has never struck me as a tourist city. If you want to spend time, plan to be there on a Sunday for the big feira in the center of town. You can also do a trip by local bus (about 20 min) to Sabara, a historic Colonial “town” (now really a suburban neighborhood of B.H.), which has among other sights, a lovely little chapel called “O”. There are lots of bars in B.H. that the locals like too. Pampulha’s architecture I find rather dated, although the church still retains some interest, but the bar at the edge of the lake can be pleasant with good company.

But I would probably arrange the trip so that I also went to some of the other Colonial mountain towns like Tiradentes and Congonhas, instead of spending much time in B.H.

Boa viagem.

punta del este...
Level Contributor
464 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ouro Preto

Prda:

It's true the direct buses (no change enroute) all leave at night with UTIL bus company. But by changing in Conselheiro Lafaiete you can do it during the day:

Viacao Cristo Rei, departs 9:00AM Ouro Preto for C. Lafaiete, arriving about 90 min later.

UTIL has a bus at 11:35 from Lafaiete to Rio, arriving 4:50PM.

These are current times--you'd be best to double check in January.

San Diego
Level Contributor
165 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ouro Preto

Thanks, Tcantarelli-

I guess I didn't do enough research on the sights. Belo Horizonte was a means of getting to Ouro Preto. Is there a better way to get to Ouro Preto from Rio? The small towns you mention interest me as well as Tiradentes. I don't know about what there is in Congonhas

If we flew to BH and took the bus to OP is it feasible to make a day of it by stopping at Mariana and the gold mine? Or should we go directly to OP and then stop places on the way back to BH. Then would we spend 2 days in OP, bus back to BH and fly to Sao Paulo? Seems like a lot of traveling!! Any suggestions about a better plan would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Ouro Preto

There’s plenty of information on these little Colonial towns in Minas Gerais either on the web and in most guidebooks.

Congonhas has a famous set of lifesize soapstone sculptures by the handicapped Baroque artist Aleijadinho. (Read up about him.) They are of the 12 prophets and sit atop the wall of a church, looking out dramatically over the valley. They are well worth seeing if you’re in the area (a lot more dramatic and interesting than most photos make them appear), but it doesn’t take too long to see all the details and check out the souvenir shops. We had a nice lunch just down the hill.

Charming little Tiradentes is reachable most interestingly by steam train from Sao Joao del Rei. You can get a horse drawn trap (charette) from the station into town. The town is full of little cottages, shops, and restaurants…very sweet.

(2 day plan) Maybe you could get to Ouro Preto, look around a bit, find out how to get to the mine and when the bus goes to Mariana and find a place to stay, spend the afternoon doing the mine or Mariana, and part of the next day at the other, with the rest in Ouro Preto. Get a late bus back to B.H. See Sabara in the morning (the little chapel was one place that impressed me enough to remember it all these years), maybe go to see the church in Pamplona and then fly out.

I did Ouro Preto as a day trip from B.H. a long time ago. I left quite early to get there and got a bus back at about 7pm. I remember thinking it wasn’t enough time to really experience the town fully, just to hit the high points, but I’ve not had a chance to go back.

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Ouro Preto

Thanks to all of you for informations about bus ride from Ouro to Rio.

Fredsa, thanks for an idea about changing a bus, however it seams little bit risky ( there is only 5 minutes to change a bus.)

I will still check departure times.

I think even about going to Sao Paolo from Belo

( where I'll be for a daybefore going to Ouro), instead waiting an extra day in Ouro.

Thanks again.

9. Re: Ouro Preto

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:05 pm, October 01, 2009
10. Re: Ouro Preto

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:27 am, March 31, 2010