We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brasilia food, drink and music search

Which Brasilia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
270 posts
192 reviews
Save Topic
Brasilia food, drink and music search

I'm in Brasilia for one week. Any recommendations of local beers, drinks and dishes and where to find them?

Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Brasilia food, drink and music search

Brasilia is pretty dismal, to my mind, but the folks who live there think they're pretty sophisticated. Food and drink is expensive and often not as good as elsewhere. For example, I was taken out to a nice and expensive restaurant for an exorbitant rice and seafood dish that was not nearly as good as a simple, cheap moqueca in any beach barraca in the country. I was taken out another night for a big treat.........which turned out to be the Bloomin' Onion (sliced, battered, fried whole onion) at Outback, a chain we have in the U.S. as well. This is a "created" city and there is really no 'local' cuisine. Beers are the usual national brands. My best advice is to just find the nearest block of stores (each residencial quadro in the plano piloto has them) and go to one of the little restaurants there. Pizza is popular--sometimes all you can eat--some with tropical fruit. They even have dessert pizza with banana and chocolate. A few weeks ago, I was at a small restaurant on my friends' block that featured various kinds of 'caldo' (soup). Some restaurants may have live music as well, during which time there may be be a snack buffet (meat, salgados, etc) on offer. There is also a Lagoa that has a bunch of very busy, upscale restaurants and bars and a pleasant area along the lake to stroll. (You would have to take a taxi.)

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
270 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Brasilia food, drink and music search

My first impression of Brasilia is bleak also. I'm staying by the TV tower and cannot find much, other than a chain restaurant of Brazilian style food found in the U.S. Hotel bars are unattractive and the Mall has a food court with mostly fast food. I'll research the StadtBier restaurnat found on my internet search. Otherwise, no local colleagues have any recommendations.

London
Level Contributor
513 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Brasilia food, drink and music search

I spent 10 days in Brasillia and was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the foood in some of the 'restaurants' in the various malls...........especially upstairs in the 'Patio da Brasil.'

I was staying with a friend in Sudoeste (QMSW) which is quite a good area.

Along the strip of shops, there are quite a few restaurants where people would sit outside drinking til the early hours, most days!

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
270 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Brasilia food, drink and music search

I'll try more of the mall restaurants before I give up. I may even try the Fogo de Chao near my hotel. I found the Sunday brunch at Carpe Diem to be OKAY.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
270 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Brasilia food, drink and music search

Well, I never found a great restaurant in the Patio do Brazil mall just fast food. However, the StadtBier brewpub (SIG Quadra 06) was impressive. All the house beers were clean and flavorful and the pub food tasted fine. Live music on a nearby small stage was a nice touch, and the five guys playing Chorinho music with the small guitar-like instruments were very impressive. Inside was even non-smoking!

Bräuhaus at Bloque Commerce 209 had a friendly setting for friends, food and drinks. The Bierfass at Lago Sul had clean draught beers and a nice outdoor setting.

If departing though São Paulo airport (GRU), a beer or two helps calm the nervousness. I recommend Beer on the Rocks at Terminal 2. Draft Hieneken Chopp from 7.50 RS to bottled Duvel for 39.50 RS. It'll take your mind off local aviation safety. Nothing will help a journey through CGH.

I enjoyed all the cultural and friendly people. If tourisn ever becomed a positive eperience here then I'l be back and upporting it 100%.

Brasilia
Level Contributor
58 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Brasilia food, drink and music search

Brasilia isn't really well prepared for turists, even less for international turists. but living here for more than 6 years , i kind of think that in terms of food and bars it does ok.

some nice cultural exibitions too.

if anyone wants more especific information just ask and I'll try my best to help

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Brasilia food, drink and music search

there is very little posted here about brasilia. please do an indepth report about life in and around brasilia.

8. Re: Brasilia food, drink and music search

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:17 pm, September 05, 2009