We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salvador - solo female

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,638 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Salvador - solo female

Hi All

I have been doing some research and from your suggestions as to where to stay, the main 3 are Barra, Rio Vermehlo and Pelourinho.

My slight problem is that after reading hotel reviews, I like the reviews the most of the people that stayed in the Pelourinho area, think it was the description of the area in terms of the music and the vibe.

I understand Pelourinho is not the safest, but does Barra or Rio Vermehlo have a vibe similar to the Pelourinho area?

Also, I understand there is a party every Tuesday in the Pelourinho, does anybody know what time it goes on to roughly. I arrive in Salvador at 12:20am so wondered if it would still be going on.

I am a mid 30 solo female, and if I decide against Pelourinho, I still want to be able to venture outside for a late meal or drink If I decide to do so without too much fear\worry in an area that has some vibe.

Thanks

Kelly

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
2,421 posts
1,220 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Salvador - solo female

There's no absolutely safe area in Salvador. I'd stick to Pelourinho area. Barra and Rio Vermelho are more beach oriented as far as I know.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
784 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Salvador - solo female

I am in Salvador right now (arrived yesterday morning) and loving it! The atmosphere is electic in the old district/Pelourinho at night. Live music, people dancing and cheap drinks/street food.

Tons of security present. No worries at all being solo. I blend in somewhat being of african descent but I saw plenty of [obvious] gringos having a good time. No one appears to be hiding their cams, tablets or smartphones either...not flashing or careless, mind you...still keep your keen wits about you as you would in any city and walk with confidence. You'll be fine.

There are great reports about Rio Vermelho and Barra too. I don't think you can go wrong with these areas.

Edited: 11:53 am, February 24, 2014
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,638 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Salvador - solo female

Hi

Thank you both. I think I am going to stay in Pelourinho.

Garnet_Stone - Think they have a party every Tuesday night, if you come back on TA, please let me kmow what time roughly it goes onto.

Thank you

Kelly

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
784 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Salvador - solo female

Hi TenilleM20, I'm just seeing this now, sorry. I was in Pelourinho on the Tuesday pre-Carnaval, and the festive atmosphere went on until around 2-3am'ish. But that seemed to happen every night lol. I can't confirm what happens outside of Carnaval time - hopefully someone else will!

Edited: 7:51 pm, March 11, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
1,532 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Salvador - solo female

Can any of your recommend specific pousadas or hotels in Pelourinho that aren't on deserted streets? It's been very hard for me to figure out since the warnings seem to say to stay away from those lonely roads. We don't mind street noise since we can sleep through anything.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
784 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Salvador - solo female

Hey midgetmama, I can certainly recommend Bahiacafe hotel. It faces onto Praca da Se, which was very vibrant until the wee hours (but not crazy). Lovely room, staff and great breakfast.

I would also look into pousadas/hotel that are right off of Terreiro de Jesus square (located just north, kind of perpendicular to Praca da Se).

Edited: 4:14 pm, March 12, 2014
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Salvador - solo female

Hi! This thread is so help (thanks for asking a great question, TenilleM20!

Garnet_Stone, did you find Salvador to be a fairly walkable? I heard traffic could be horrid so, to avoiding relying on public transport, I was planning to walk from Dois de Julho to the major hot spots (Pelurinho, Fonte Nova, etc). Is that doable?

Thanks!

Brasilia, DF
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Salvador - solo female

I suggest you to visit wondeful places near Salvador, if you have time like Praia do Forte and some island like Frades island and Itaparica one. You can take a boat ( Baía de Todos os Santos) to visit both islands in the same day, on the boat you also see the Forte São Marcelo closer. Beautiful sightseeing.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,638 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Salvador - solo female

NikitaReyes - no problem at all, just glad we got some good replies.

Garnetsilk - I actually booked Bahiacafe based on the reviews so glad you also mentioned Bahiacafe.

SandraS - I will defo be doing this boat trip, thanks for the tip.

Can anyone advise what Salvador is like outside of carnival time in terms of the music on the Tuesday night and any other nights during the week.

Thank you

Kelly

10. Re: Salvador - solo female

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:49 am, March 17, 2015