We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carnival for 60-somethings?

new york
Level Contributor
56 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Carnival for 60-somethings?

I am looking for some advice. My husband and I and another couple are planning to attend Carnival in 2014 in Salvador and/or Olinda. We were at Carnival in Rio about 10 years ago and loved it. But looking at the photos from Salvador Carnival, everyone seems to be no older than 30. We are all in our sixties and are wondering what would be the best way to participate in Carnival in Salvador.

Are there some camarotes with a more ‘mixed age’ crowd? How about the blocos? It also seems that the festivities in Pelourinho might be attractive to us. Thoughts?

Also, what are the relative merits of Carnival in Salvador vs. Recife/Olinda?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Sayulita, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,640 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Carnival for 60-somethings?

I think it is better to buy tickets to a camarote than participating as a pipoca among the young crowd.You can buy also a T-shirt called Abada to one of the samba cars.Therefore you can stayaway from tight the crowd but still be in the middle of the action.But sitting at a camarote with food,drinks and watching the caravans go by is what most people in their 60:ies do.

I would recommend Salvador over Recife due to safety and quality.

new york
Level Contributor
56 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Carnival for 60-somethings?

Thank you for your response. What is the best way to buy the tickets from here in the US?

Sayulita, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,640 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Carnival for 60-somethings?

I really dont know since my family arrange their own camarotes and do it through a local organizer and catering firm.But check on websites and travelagents.

new england
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Carnival for 60-somethings?

We spent Carnival in Salvador 10 years ago (at 47 and 56) - wouldn't do it again. It's a completely different city during that time and, unless you really enjoy the music, it's not really worth it. Hours of good, loud, monotonous beat - has to allow for the time that it takes to jump up and then hit the ground again over and over and over! - "Popcorn" dancing. It's a great show - the trios electricos and all the people in their matching T-shirts that they have redesigned into some amazing pieces of clothing. Some of the groups do great shows. But it's also the only time in 3 months that we saw fights, men harassing women, people really falling-down-drunk on the street. The camarote that we did one night was fine but you can't see much unless you get there really early and stake out an area in the front.

We were living in Barra at the time so spent more time there, did the Campo Grande route one night, went to Pelo one night - much more mellow. Also, you really don't want to go to either of the beaches in Barra during that week (especially the ocean beach) since that's where everyone goes to pee during the evenings....

That said, it's a pretty amazing once-in-a-lifetime experience. I think Barra at New Years is much more fun. Anyway, have heard wonderful things about Olinda's Carnival and, if I were to be in Brazil that time of year again, that's where I would go.

Sayulita, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,640 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Carnival for 60-somethings?

Well Lillyteach thats why i recommended the camarote over to popcorn dancing in the crowd.There is great camarotes with seats in front of the route of the carneval.Then there is camarotes in all types of categorys where you pay less and see less.The men harassing the women?well that can happen in the worst case scenario.But useally it is how it goes on carneval.Men grab a woman but before the kiss, the woman can push him away and say no, if she doesn´t find him attractive.That is useally respected with a smile from the man and he goes to another woman.But i bet you have been on springbreak, where worser/grosser things has happen on the open street=)At Least the music is better at Carneval than Springbreak*haha*

Edited: 8:57 am, August 07, 2013
Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
4,613 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Carnival for 60-somethings?

you are right, "street" Carnival in Olinda or Salvador are really best left for the college or just fresh from college crowd.

now, Carnaval in Salvador is really big business nowadays and you can buy tickets for everything (camarotes, abadas, etc) in these stores in a major mall (Iguatemi) and at the airport in Salvador. They have an online presence as well:

…centraldocarnaval.com.br/index_ingles.asp

If you are not comfortable with an online purchase, I would just gather all the info and see if they can reserve it for payment/pickup at their Salvador airport store.

new york
Level Contributor
56 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Carnival for 60-somethings?

Thanks for your replies. I see that there are sites where I can now purchase camarotes tickets online. But I am not sure which are the ones with the best views. Or are all of them the same, in that only a small percentage of the people who get the best spots will be able to see well? Any advice on that?

Sayulita, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,640 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Carnival for 60-somethings?

well, write some suggestions and we can determine if it is a good camarote with a great view or not.

GrABC
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Carnival for 60-somethings?

There are sites with very good descriptions of each major camarote they offer. Prices vary with amenities, especially type of. food and drinks. No one is going to call attention to your age, in the pipoca, behind a trio or in a camarote. There are also local camarotes that don't advertise, more like a restaurant or other space someone takes over for the duration of carnival. Perhaps your accommodation could suggest one.

Spend some time researching the music on YouTube.

www.salvadorcentral.com has good pages describing carnival and other aspects of Salvador.

Bem Vindo!

new york
Level Contributor
56 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Carnival for 60-somethings?

www.salvadorcentral.com is full of information! Thanks for the suggestion!