We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Close to beach but in historic city possible?

Level Contributor
14 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Close to beach but in historic city possible?

We are newlyweds looking to enjoy the historic part of Salvador yet not far from the beach, we want to be in the historic center.Safety is very important. We will be their in mid July. Can anyone recomend a pousada or a hotel? Thank you very much!

Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
128 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Close to beach but in historic city possible?

Theoretically it is almost possible ...

There is this tiny litle and calm beach accessible via the grounds of the museum of modern arts MAM, but getting there is a bit tricky if you don't know the neighborhood.

There is another one between the MAM and Bahia Marina but I would definitly NOT recommend it for gringo's ;-)

There are several good pousada's in and around the centro historico !

Greetz from the tropIX of Salvador da Bahia,

Ivan Bahia Guide

Sayulita, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,640 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Close to beach but in historic city possible?

I would recommend Pousada Azul or Pousada Papaya Verde which i have stayed at.And both is in Barra and near the beach.The bus runs frequently in Barra and will take you to the Pelourinho in 10 min.//ZeZe

Level Contributor
14 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Close to beach but in historic city possible?

Muito Obrigado Ivan and Zeze. By the way, is July a good month for the beach? If I stayed in Barra how much does the taxi cost to go to Pelourinho? My wife is a Carioca and has a phobia about taking buses, so we will be taking taxis.Thanks again.

Edited: 6:10 am, May 11, 2013
Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
128 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Close to beach but in historic city possible?

Oi Zoubou,

Good your wife is Brazilian, than at least you have less chance to be robbed by a taxi-driver ;-)

Barra to Pelourinho costs somewhere between 15 and 25R$, depending on traffic of course.

I don't like busses as well and the last year we had to many assaults on them as well ... that's why we use the car when possible allthough in the city center I do everything on foot (as we live in the historic centre that's pretty ok, it is even possible to walk from Barra to Pelourinho in a good hour (just walk up the whole Avenida Sete, at the end it is only 500 extra meters through Rua de Chile and you are at Praça da Se.

Greetz

Ivan Bahia Guide

Warsaw
Level Contributor
86 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Close to beach but in historic city possible?

I visited Bahia in July some years ago and the weather was very good. It rained twice or so, but these were short showers, they didn't affect our stay at all. Pernambuco in July is a nightmare (at least it was 2 years ago) but Salvador was fine.

We stayed in Barra and I think it's a perfect location. Close to the beach, also not far away from Pelourinho or Itapoan. We moved around by bus, although it was our first trip to Brazil and I thought we would be attacked at every corner (which never happened).

Level Contributor
14 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Close to beach but in historic city possible?

Pousada casa vila bella or Bahiacafe hotel? Which one do most people prefer?

7. Re: Close to beach but in historic city possible?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, May 15, 2014